The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhhhh today is a bad day. Took a break from the funny post thread to go do chicken chores. Went up to the barn first where I have 4 new cochins in quarantene to find one of the chickens flat out missing. There were a few feathers around but no other signs of a bird. I can't find where any critter could get thru except a spot in the fence way up high, but how could they have carried a bird out thru there? A beautiful white cochin. So bummed. So then decided for the safety of those three birds that I would move them to my cochin pen. Got down there to find my one lone frizzle bantam huddled up on the ground unresponsive but alive. So now I am worried that I am exposing the new, traumatized but healthy in appearance chickens to something in my cochin pen??? Brought the frizzle inside where she is laying on a heating pad. Can't get her to eat or drink. Can see her breathing but thats it. Only opened her eyes once. Tryed to get her to swallow some antibiotic, but had to pry her mouth open and can't get her to swallow. Hopefully after she warms up some she will atleast be a bit more responsive.

Never mind, just turned to look at her and she is laying her head off to the side, went over to check and she had passed.

Bummer...what a day.

Think I will go try and cheer myself up on the funny post contest thread.
Sorry.
hugs.gif

Ughhhhh today is a bad day. Took a break from the funny post thread to go do chicken chores. Went up to the barn first where I have 4 new cochins in quarantene to find one of the chickens flat out missing. There were a few feathers around but no other signs of a bird. I can't find where any critter could get thru except a spot in the fence way up high, but how could they have carried a bird out thru there? A beautiful white cochin. So bummed. So then decided for the safety of those three birds that I would move them to my cochin pen. Got down there to find my one lone frizzle bantam huddled up on the ground unresponsive but alive. So now I am worried that I am exposing the new, traumatized but healthy in appearance chickens to something in my cochin pen??? Brought the frizzle inside where she is laying on a heating pad. Can't get her to eat or drink. Can see her breathing but thats it. Only opened her eyes once. Tryed to get her to swallow some antibiotic, but had to pry her mouth open and can't get her to swallow. Hopefully after she warms up some she will atleast be a bit more responsive.

Never mind, just turned to look at her and she is laying her head off to the side, went over to check and she had passed.

Bummer...what a day.

awww I am so sorry
hugs.gif

Bummer...what a day.

I'm sorry.

Last edited:
I didn't want to jinks myself by posting this but I just had to know - I'm a first time incubator here, I've noticed a lot of people are tossing eggs and having bad fertility/survivor rates with their eggs. Are chicken eggs less viable than duck eggs? I set 29 duck eggs, all of them started out good, and I have thus far (knock on wood) only tossed one due to a blood ring. I have an LG still air incubator and have had high (105) and low (96) temps thus far in the incubation process (and its darn frustrating!), My oldest eggs that I set were 11 days old (I get 2-3 per day) from my home stock, all my duck eggs appear to be developing just fine (at least to someone who has no idea except for the pictures from this site). I also set 12 copper maran eggs - but I can't see into those ones (crappy flashlight and the eggs are just too dark) so maybe I won't have as good a luck with them. But, do duck eggs just generally have more viability than chicken or is this beginners luck?

Ughhhhh today is a bad day. Took a break from the funny post thread to go do chicken chores.  Went up to the barn first where I have 4 new cochins in quarantene to find one of the chickens flat out missing. There were a few feathers around but no other signs of a bird. I can't find where any critter could get thru except a spot in the fence way up high, but how could they have carried a bird out thru there?  A beautiful white cochin.  So bummed.  So then decided for the safety of those three birds that I would move them to my cochin pen.  Got down there to find my one lone frizzle bantam huddled up on the ground unresponsive but alive.  So now I am worried that I am exposing the new, traumatized but healthy in appearance chickens to something in my cochin pen???  Brought the frizzle inside where she is laying on a heating pad.  Can't get her to eat or drink. Can see her breathing but thats it.  Only opened her eyes once.  Tryed to get her to swallow some antibiotic, but had to pry her mouth open and can't get her to swallow.  Hopefully after she warms up some she will atleast be a bit more responsive.

Bummer...what a day.

Oh no! So sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom