The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on my little spraddle leg chickie...

She has a TON of energy and is figuring out how to move around and find food and her water, but she will still not even attempt to stand up on her feet. I've got the band aid on there to keep her feet together and under her, but she just frog hops across the floor of the brooder... I'm still giving the vitamin drops. I've tried the little chick physical therapy, but she refuses to put any weight on her feet and stand at all... not sure what else to do. I can't find anything when I google it either...

ideas?
I think I read on one of these threads that putting pipecleaners on their legs for a few hours can help spraddle legs.

Okay I see a lot of ya'll saying you are ?float testing? The eggs......... what does that mean??
Its when your eggs dont pip and its been over 24 hours since they were due. The full article of what to do is here.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching You candle, tap......follow instructions..... And if indicated you do the float test. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

Last edited:
Quote: I have about 10 threads I try to keep up with and now with the outside calling for clean up after a long winter, well, my time is spread thin. I think I missed about 400 posts!

I put a clod of soil and grass in for my older speckled sussex chicks--what a hoot-- took them a few hours to figure out what to do with it!! Silly chicks.

Broodie Hen is most definitely broody again. THinking to give her some of the speckeled sussex at lockdown. THen I have several new coops to build in addition to the turkey coop just finished today. Boy 12 toms make the new one crowded already. Time to make room in the freezer.

Loving the warm weather. In like a Lion and out like a Lamb!!

I was, WAS, going to chill in my room and watch a little t.v. before I went to bed in a few, BUT I have a chick that hatched maybe 20 minutes ago (took less than 8 hrs to hatch, quickest one yet!!!), it concerned my a little because when it hatched it had its little belly sticking up (laying on it's back when it flipped out of the shell) and the skin isn't completely closed ( very very small hole remain) plus there was green in the shell, not sure if it was the umblicus or if it was just poo? But the chick is acting fine and I'm sure I'm just worrying for nothing, plus the tiny hole wasn't bleeding or anything so probably normal :)

Anyways that one is resting, one chick is nearly out, two ducklings are still working on their shells, my first duckling was moved to the brooder (was getting into trouble in the incubator and was completely dry so out out out under my new ecoglow I just got a few days ago) and he/she is wanting friends! I told this little guy/gal they would just have to settle for the stuffed animal tonight, and buddies will be there tomorrow.

No movement,peeps, or pips from my other 12 chicken eggs
sad.png
I really hope they do something
fl.gif
(they could always just be late bloomers, umm make that hatchers
wink.png
)

Anyways off to occupy my mind for a few, look at the incubator one last time, then head to bed! Likely more duckies and a chickie tomorrow.

Last edited:
scratch that, TWO chicks snuggling with each other in the incubator
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
love.gif

Now I can get to bed lol. Hope the duckies are out tomorrow!

Good night all, good luck on everyone's eggs, and congrats to everyone with pips, zips, and hatchlings

Sorry if you guys felt you weren't getting help. I was in town running errands most of the day - then had to get my brooder cleaned and move chicks. I'm catching up now.

My hatch is done with 19 chicks. 16 barnevelders, 2 welsummers and a black sex link pullet. The one egg I thought was a quitter was. (died several days before) The other egg looks like it died a few days ago. They are all comfy cozy under my EcoGlow brooder.

Barnevelder left, Welsummer right.
That's great! I have Barnevelder envy! None of my 4 developed...but we are excited with the Amercaunas and will try try again!

Sounds like lots of people hatches have begun, a few have ended successfully, and a few not so well. Here I have 6 poults out and a few more pips. There is one turkey tutor out, and 2 others with pips ( one on the wrong end but, more towards the middle so Im hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom