The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after I bought my new brinsea incubator I of course had to squeeze in one "test" hatch before the Easter hatch. Last night, day 10 I candled. Now that I have officially seen life I am sooooo impatient! I just want them to hatch!
Here's what I have so far, thoughts and feedback from you guys are always appreciated.
I put in 5 of my buff brahma eggs to test fertility, they are all cooking away and saw movement like crazy in them.
I also put in 20 shipped marans eggs. During the candling process I found 2 that had pretty significant cracks or dents in them. I did not notice that on candling when I received them. Maybe I squeezed them in too tight and did it myself. These marans eggs are very difficult to see thru. I use two mag lite flashlights when candling and on 2 of them I thought I saw veins and 1 with possible movement.

But anyway back to the cracked ones. One of them had a dent, hole and crack half way around the egg, so I cracked that open first to see if it had any signs of fertility. The good and bad news of that is it was fertile and very early quitter. Pretty much just the eye there. So when I saw fertility in that one I decided to recandle the other cracked one and decide what to do on it. I candled it and I actually thought it looked clear because the light seemed to shine equally all the way thru. Couldn't even tell where the air sack was. So I carefully cracked it open and to my great sadness there was a live little embryo in there. The crack went all the way around the shell basically cutting it in half but it wasn't leaking. I guess I should have put wax on it. My new philosophy with marans eggs if it doesn't stink or goo to leave it.

This is also the first time I am weighing the eggs and marking the air cells. The air cells seem to be developing as they should be. I figure at 10 days the eggs should have lost about 13% of their weight correct? Well they are not losing that much. More like 8 %. I am only weighing 12 of them so it doesn't take me forever to weigh, candle etc. I am using the dry hatch method and humidity is sitting at 28% in the bator. Any thoughts?

Oz did you weigh your eggs? You have a really humid climate to deal with. I thought Oklahoma is dry, but it has been rainy/snowy here lately.

I have also been sick with the flu and fell behind on my fun chicken facts. Between all the sleeping I have been doing it was hard enough just keeping up with the thread and now that I have confirmed life in those eggs I can't seem to peel myself away. Its going to be a long 11 more days.

Last edited:
QUESTION!!! - I have tWo thermometers in my bator the glass probe that came with the bator and a new digital thermometer that I bought from walmart.

The glass therm is reading 102 while my digi is reading a staedy 99 both high and low on this therm say 99 so its steady. Should I trust my digi or the glass? ( The glass therm has already been calibrated )
Most people say to use three and take the average between them. I too struggle with this all the time. Im crazy with the thermometers. Put them in the fridge and compare to that thermometer, lay it on top of my house thermometer, take it outside and compare it to my car thermometer. lol. Im no help. I have 4 or 5 thermometers around here for incubating not including the one on the bator and they alllllllll read different.

Most people say to use three and take the average between them.  I too struggle with this all the time.  Im crazy with the thermometers.  Put them in the fridge and compare to that thermometer, lay it on top of my house thermometer, take it outside and compare it to my car thermometer.  lol. Im no help.  I have 4 or 5 thermometers around here for incubating not including the one on the bator and they alllllllll read different.

Well I know the one on the outside is seriously off. It reads 90 the whole time. I had both therm's exactly the same reading wise before I added my eggs and now my glass therm is reading 2.5 degrees higher than it did. This is also a forced air incubator.

So after I bought my new brinsea incubator I of course had to squeeze in one "test" hatch before the Easter hatch. Last night, day 10 I candled. Now that I have officially seen life I am sooooo impatient! I just want them to hatch!
Here's what I have so far, thoughts and feedback from you guys are always appreciated.
I put in 5 of my buff brahma eggs to test fertility, they are all cooking away and saw movement like crazy in them.
I also put in 20 shipped marans eggs. During the candling process I found 2 that had pretty significant cracks or dents in them. I did not notice that on candling when I received them. Maybe I squeezed them in too tight and did it myself. These marans eggs are very difficult to see thru. I use two mag lite flashlights when candling and on 2 of them I thought I saw veins and 1 with possible movement.

But anyway back to the cracked ones. One of them had a dent, hole and crack half way around the egg, so I cracked that open first to see if it had any signs of fertility. The good and bad news of that is it was fertile and very early quitter. Pretty much just the eye there. So when I saw fertility in that one I decided to recandle the other cracked one and decide what to do on it. I candled it and I actually thought it looked clear because the light seemed to shine equally all the way thru. Couldn't even tell where the air sack was. So I carefully cracked it open and to my great sadness there was a live little embryo in there. The crack went all the way around the shell basically cutting it in half but it wasn't leaking. I guess I should have put wax on it. My new philosophy with marans eggs if it doesn't stink or goo to leave it.

This is also the first time I am weighing the eggs and marking the air cells. The air cells seem to be developing as they should be. I figure at 10 days the eggs should have lost about 13% of their weight correct? Well they are not losing that much. More like 8 %. I am only weighing 12 of them so it doesn't take me forever to weigh, candle etc. I am using the dry hatch method and humidity is sitting at 28% in the bator. Any thoughts?

Oz did you weigh your eggs? You have a really humid climate to deal with. I thought Oklahoma is dry, but it has been rainy/snowy here lately.

I have also been sick with the flu and fell behind on my fun chicken facts. Between all the sleeping I have been doing it was hard enough just keeping up with the thread and now that I have confirmed life in those eggs I can't seem to peel myself away. Its going to be a long 11 more days.

I weigh and candle

13% at lockdown. 8% at 10 days is perfect. 28% humidity is good too. You are on track - dont over think.

I would have tossed cracked eggs. After having to deal with a stinker oozing in my bator and potentially infecting all eggs - a cracked egg is not worth the risk in my opinion.

By day 18 with 2 lights you can tell if marans are clear as they will glow versus the ones that are more likely viable. Toss them then.

Last edited:
I'd like to enter this, please! My girls are picking up in egg production and I hope to buy some hatching eggs from somewhere local
smile.png

Thank God for automatic egg turners, or else my college classes wouldn't allow me to hatch this year! OH and even better was that the egg turner I bought for my hovabator was on sale the other day at TSC (little giant but it fits and works just fine in mine) when I went for dog and cat food... and came out with the food plus an egg turner and 6 little chicks
lol.png

This will be my third time incubating, I hope to have a better hatch success rate this time and I do plan on setting a larger amount of egg
wink.png

Is there a Trader Joes or Whole Foods near by?

They sell fertile eggs and they hatch! Look at my Avatar...The two white pullets are Trader Joe's Leghorns!

Lol we are in the middle of no where.... I don't think Texas has trader joes at all and the closest whole foods is over 3 hours away.... The issue isn't getting eggs any it's the fact I got some (pricy ones for me too) and my only bator is full!

So egg collecting is starting soon. And Im a little nervous I wont have any fertile eggs now. I made my breeders pen only 5 days ago and just today noticed my rooster has an awful limp. I dont know what happened to him, Im guessing he pulled something or sprained something, I will look him over if his limp doesnt improve. But back to my eggs AGH now he might not do his rooster duties and I may not have very many fertile eggs. I guess we will see. OH my poor Rooster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom