The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got too busy to really play along this year. Hatch was bad for several known reasons but
6 hatched. I think that was out of 26.
Just reporting for the record.

Hope everyone had fun! I did even if I didn't check in!
@chiques chicks did you have an issue with humidity like most of us had been having prior?

Final hatch only 2. I am having a heck of time this year getting anything to hatch
sad.png

@chiques chicks
   did you have an issue with humidity like most of us had been having prior?  

Ñ
Well, I tried a dry hatch, but I'm not blaming that. My next two hatches are also dry, so time will tell.
I was candling a different hatch and turned the light (heat) off and forgot to turn it on. Temp dropped to 82, that included all the water bottles for temperature stability. It was at the worst possible time during incubation.
I blame it on me hurrying.
The eggs I'm incubating are only hatching at about 50% this year, so it wasn't really horrible. It's just a bad year, that happens.
The weather fluctuations haven't helped the chickens or the incubation, I think.

I ended up culling it. Four hatched this way. Two weren't as bad but died. One is still trying to live. I decided not to help them in any way and see what happens. They were mail ordered and hatched way early. I had not even locked them down yet, they were in the rocker! And No I did not "help" them (certainly not from the rotating brooder!) It was crazy babies popping out...pipping in the wrong place!
Thanks for the advice though. It was UKKY

First of all, Congrats! everyone on their hatches. Saw some beautiful pictures and great tips that were helpful. I missed the HAL deadline and set late. Day 19 just started for me an hour ago. I went into lockdown at midnight and haven't slept since then. Any ideas how to go to sleep short of a sleeping pill
smile.png

Here are the stats, Whole Foods eggs Set 11- None developed.
Shipped Choc Wyandotte eggs- 9 Set- 4 in lock-down
Shipped CCL eggs- 11 set- 5 in lock-down 2 of them still suspicious
Temp readings- between 99 and 100 both on the Brinsea Ocatgon 20 Thermometer and the Accucheck
Humidity reading on the Accucheck 74% right now and has been pretty much between 71-74 since last night

For humidity I filled up the wells to the top. Put folded papertowels with one end in the well and other laid flat on the base on the incubator. Laid paper towel on the egg tray. leaving edges of tray open for humid air to flow up from the wells, covered the paper towel with shelf liner. Put eggs on top laid on their sides with drawn portion of air-sac up. Put a small water container in one corner in the back and filled it with marbles. In the second corner is a wet sponge. Vent of the incubator is half open.

Have I covered all bases? And what level can I let humidity fall to after which its critical to open the bator and add some more water without causing any damage.

Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom