The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it my imagination or are a lot of people who set to hatch Saturday hatching early?
Today is my hatch day. This is the first time I've ever had such early hatchers. It's really weird.

I keep thinking that I will get a better incubator for the next time I hatch chicks. I have a garage sale styrofoam Hovabator that may have seen its better days. It still looks good but I am not thinking that I will have the results that other people have had. I have seen some nice homemade ones from scratch, some nice ones made from ice chests, and some nice commercial made ones. I don't think I need a huge one. I think I just need one that has the same capacity of the Hovabator. I am open to suggestions. I saw that someone is going to have to give up his Brensea because his wife doesn't want more chicks around (imagine that - a wife not wanting a husband around lots of chicks
hmm.png
) Maybe that's what I need? I want to hatch some Silver Appleyard ducks and some JOs eventually. Maybe I should just buy chicks and ducklings?

Waiting for chicks to hatch is tough! How do the hens do it? Maybe they can't read a calendar... I'm mostly glad I don't have to sit on these eggs!
I bought my 1602n brand new from my local feed store. I've had that sucker for 4 years and it still works like new.... well, maybe better since I got the hang of it.

Quote: Yeah, I've had to do that.
lol.png

Some one really needs to make some new emoticons that really relate to all our chicken madness.
I like the ones we have here. They work pretty well for me.
idunno.gif
I'm actually kinda lost outside of BYC without them.
lol.png

So happy with my hatch!!!!
wee.gif
I went into lockdown with 36 eggs. 32 have hatched w/only one death after hatch. All 31 are strong lil fluff butts. Even the one that is still imprisioned in the coffee cup absorbing what is left of the yolk n stuff. The four eggs I concluded were quitters were pulled and recandled only to reaffirm 3 were done. The last had internally pipped so he is still sitting all by himself in the incubator and will get an extra 24 hours. i'd say that is pretty good for my LG even if we struggled a little this time with temps...lol

Oh, and day 21 just started for me about 2 hours ago.
wink.png

Last edited:
So happy with my hatch!!!!   :weee I went into lockdown with 36 eggs. 32 have hatched w/only one death after hatch. All 31 are strong lil fluff butts. Even the one that is still imprisioned in the coffee cup absorbing what is left of the yolk n stuff.  The four eggs I concluded were quitters were pulled and recandled only to reaffirm 3 were done. The last had internally pipped so he is still sitting all by himself in the incubator and will get an extra 24 hours.  i'd say that is pretty good for my LG even if we struggled a little this time with temps...lol

Oh, and day 21 just started for me about 2 hours ago.  ;)

Congratulations!!! :D

I'm glad you are happy with your LG hatch. I'm happy with my LG hatch also. I haven't done my final count yet but I started lockdown with 43 (I should have culled more that had not developed well) and had to through out only 7 eggs after hatching was complete. One of them was a cracked egg that I had put nail polish on two weeks ago. I think I should have about 36 healthy chicks ready to get out of the incubator. I will count them this afternoon and place them in a brooder.

Well done Amy. It takes skill, a lot of luck and help from others to use an LG. :) Oh and patience!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom