The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genetics are amazing! One of my hens eggs hatched with a yellow single comb chick. The other hatched pea comb with grey spots! Same hen, same dad. No one in the family had grey as chicks either...odd

I need some help. I came home to find one of my banty eggs has hatched and I have a unique healthy looking chick except she can't walk.
sad.png
Her feet are up by her head and even when I gently try to straighten them they just pop right back up. What can I do?
Does it look like it is sitting on it's bum and kind of wattling around? I call this the paddle walk. Hopefully that is all it is. Some of them have the hardest time figuring out what those legs and feet are for.
smile.png
She's get the hang of it soon.

mlm...my total hatch is 35. Had 38 go into lock down.

So many clears in some eggs a friend gave me..new rooster..only two of his were viable. Then only two were viable in my Marans. :( At least the two that made it to lock down made !!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Genetics are amazing! One of my hens eggs hatched with a yellow single comb chick. The other hatched pea comb with grey spots! Same hen, same dad. No one in the family had grey as chicks either...odd

I have had the very same thing happen today too. My first time incubating a couple of my Amber links eggs. Same Dad (silver lace polish frizzle) and two completely different chicks. The first one to hatch is a very dark brown with a comb visable and dark legs. The second a light black colour body with a grey/white head and no comb with pink legs. I wasn't sure what to expect with these two eggs but I would have least thought the two chicks would have been the same colour. I just have to wait now to see if they are going to be frizzle!!

How cute..that's a tiny little bator..is that a Brensea?  I had a larger one once, but not the smaller ones, so not sure if this is it.  

It is called The Chick-Bator. It doesn't get very good reviews, but I have had good luck with the temp staying steady. We kept it in the bathroom so that helped with humidity. You just put water in one of the legs. One hatch and one pip so far, so we are happy with it for our first experience in incubating.

I need some help. I came home to find one of my banty eggs has hatched and I have a unique healthy looking chick except she can't walk. :( Her feet are up by her head and even when I gently try to straighten them they just pop right back up. What can I do?

Does it look like it is sitting on it's bum and kind of wattling around?  I call this the paddle walk.  Hopefully that is all it is.  Some of them have the hardest time figuring out what those legs and feet are for.  :)    She's get the hang of it soon. 

She kinda looks like she's swimming? Shes just scooting around on her bum and hocks with her feet up beside her head. Otherwise she's very active and seems very healthy. I tried to straighten her legs a bit but they don't seem to want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom