The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2 to 3 week old purebreds? No, not a bad price, I've seen worse... are the Ameraucanas or???

Oh Yes... Wheaten Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas... I really like the Easter Eggers that I have so I thought I would try some purebreds to see if there are differences that I like better about either or both. This breeder is only about a half hour away so I thought getting some eggs would let me participate in the Hatch Along and I would have a handful of the WBW Am at the end. Well, it has worked out that I did like the hatch along but I didn't really participate in teh "hatch" part. These Ameraucana are from an exhibition line according to the breeder. The parent flock is very pretty.

My little peeps got the taste of mealworms tonight. Oh boy! It feels so cute to have their feet all over my hand as I lay it on the floor..with those yummy treats. Find out real quick who is who when this feeding frenzy happens!

Oh Yes... Wheaten Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas... I really like the Easter Eggers that I have so I thought I would try some purebreds to see if there are differences that I like better about either or both.  This breeder is only about a half hour away so I thought getting some eggs would let me participate in the Hatch Along and I would have a handful of the WBW Am at the end.  Well, it has worked out that I did like the hatch along but I didn't really participate in teh "hatch" part.  These Ameraucana are from an exhibition line according to the breeder.  The parent flock is very pretty.

Sorry for your hatch, mine wasn't what I expected either... seems to be a trend right now...

Sounds like you already approve of the parent stock, so I'd say go for it! They are worth it if you feel good about it... I love my EE's, but my Am's and Araucanas are my babies... I just love their temperaments and personalities... :)

Okay I need advice, asap. My official lockdown is in two days for 3 eggs and in five days for my other 3 eggs, they are duck eggs. They take 28 days on average. I candled them tonight and they are ALL already pushing on the air cell membrane trying to pip. Is it terrible to put them in lockdown this soon? I'm scared they are going to pip while I'm still turning them... don't want to kill them because I keep turning them. Please help

yes, I live in NH and they get a federal grant each year to do it, so it's free, just your time and labor of catching all the chickens (and guineas in our case). They do not do ducks. If you want additional testing here, it is around $1.50 per bird for other diseases. The NPIP just tests for the salmonella pullorum.

federal does not mean free, I just finished my Federal Income tax, if you want me to begin to rant talk about free
he.gif

One chick fully hatched (had to assist, the poor thing was a bit stuck in the membrane).
One starting to zip.
One just pipped.

This is the beginning of day 23, so a bit later than I expected... I even went and bought 8 chicks at the feed store this morning!
I'm thinking I could get one or two more, but not crossing my fingers. I had honestly hoped that ONE of the 48 eggs I set would hatch, so I am a happy chick mama!

wee.gif
Congratulations!

Not sure about ducks, but I have come in on the morning I am going to do my lockdown and found chicks riding in the turner!

My little peeps got the taste of mealworms tonight. Oh boy! It feels so cute to have their feet all over my hand as I lay it on the floor..with those yummy treats. Find out real quick who is who when this feeding frenzy happens!
Awww. I love to get the little ones all excited over treats also. They are so cute cheeping and trying to find a corner to hide in to eat it!
big_smile.png

Okay I need advice, asap. My official lockdown is in two days for 3 eggs and in five days for my other 3 eggs, they are duck eggs. They take 28 days on average. I candled them tonight and they are ALL already pushing on the air cell membrane trying to pip. Is it terrible to put them in lockdown this soon? I'm scared they are going to pip while I'm still turning them... don't want to kill them because I keep turning them. Please help

I meant to quote this post in my last post.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom