The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to put a batch of shipped eggs in my one incubator and my other one is full of eggs on day 6. But I have one lone turkey egg that's due to hatch Sunday. Can someone advise which eggs would better handle the higher humidity for a couple days?

Final hatch number was 24 :(

Sorry it took so long to post it but I have been crazy busy this weekend with a dinner with friends on Friday, two birthday parties and an Easter/meet my brothers fiance potluck dinner, on Saturday then an Easter lunch with turkey and ham on Sunday, then me just trying to recover from the crazy weekend on Monday.

I was ready to call my 2015 Easter Hatch finished but there was another pip this morning! Guess I should give the remaining 5 eggs some more time before I post my final hatch numbers.

Well so far out of 38 eggs I have 26 chicks! I started with 46 eggs, 6 were infertile, 2 quitters and 2 dead pips (not sure what happened?). I've got two more trying to hatch, they are super slow and taking their time about it. Hopefully they make it out, it's crazy, some of those babies went from pip to hatched in under an hour, and others took a good 18-30+ hours! LOL Then I have until tomorrow afternoon for the other 8 to decide if they want to come out. I might let them go until Wednesday, that would be day 25 or 26, is that too long to just let them sit?

Check them for life--candle, listen for chirps and etc.

At 25 hours and a day past the last hatch they are likely quitters.

Okay I need advice, asap. My official lockdown is in two days for 3 eggs and in five days for my other 3 eggs, they are duck eggs. They take 28 days on average. I candled them tonight and they are ALL already pushing on the air cell membrane trying to pip. Is it terrible to put them in lockdown this soon? I'm scared they are going to pip while I'm still turning them... don't want to kill them because I keep turning them. Please help

28 days for ducks is not very firm. They actually hatch over a range of days. The two or three times I hatched ducks, they hatched on day 26.

I am about to put a batch of shipped eggs in my one incubator and my other one is full of eggs on day 6. But I have one lone turkey egg that's due to hatch Sunday. Can someone advise which eggs would better handle the higher humidity for a couple days?

Go with the turkey eggs. Incubation is longer so the amount of time at the higher humidity will be a smaller percentage of the hatch time. It does not hurt to have high humidity during lockdown once during incubation.

It could be wry neck. Sometimes the chin goes down and flopping onto the back is a symptom too.

Ply vi sol without iron, a drop in the morning, noon and night can help with it. It can take a lot of work and a couple of weeks. If the neck does not recover enough for it to eat, then you have to feed it which can involve tube feeding.

THANK YOU!!!
goodpost.gif

I was starting to give up hope last night. He just wouldn't stop curling his neck and flopping around on his back.

Then this morning...standing up. Still a little wobbly and head tilts to the side everyone once in awhile.

But he is up and following the examples of the other chicks...pecking at everything.

Thank you so much!!

THANK YOU!!!
goodpost.gif

I was starting to give up hope last night. He just wouldn't stop curling his neck and flopping around on his back.

Then this morning...standing up. Still a little wobbly and head tilts to the side everyone once in awhile.

But he is up and following the examples of the other chicks...pecking at everything.

Thank you so much!!

Your welcome!

Cut back to twice a day with the poly vi sol without iron but keep giving it to the chick until the symptoms are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom