The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to skip a lot of pages because of how fast this thread moves so maybe I missed it but for those of you that were hatching emus, how did your hatches go? We need some pics! Lol

Need some suggestions. My 4th chick was not doing well at hatching, had zipped but seemed stuck so after a day of keeping him under a damp towel and him not making any more progress I helped him out. Wasn't sure how he would do but I just checked on him after being gone for a couple hours he is actually moving around. He does seem to still have the umbilical cord (I assume that's what it is?) attached and still has some membrane stuck to him in spots. Would it be ok to clean him gently in a warm bath or just use a damp cloth, should I do it now or wait a bit longer, and what should I do about the cord?

I was beginning to think he would be my last but I candled the other three eggs and found one had pipped so hopefully we'll get one more. :)

im not sure about taking them out by hand but it seems to have worked for you I read something about the umbilical cord and I think there might be something you have to do with it so I advise you to look it up but the membrane on it is fine

Snow? In CA? In April? Sounds odd to me lol but Im sure it happens. So glad you are getting some much needed moisture over there. I hope you get enough to really wet the ground.
We have mountains in California
cool.png

Go very, very slowly and stop if you see blood.  Use a warm washcloth to moisten the membrane.

She didn't make it. She was zipping through the widest part of the shell and only made it 3/4 of the way through. Must have been positioned wrong and didn't have enough air. Wish I had helped sooner.

I had to skip a lot of pages because of how fast this thread moves so maybe I missed it but for those of you that were hatching emus, how did your hatches go? We need some pics! Lol
We haven't heard an update on the emu hatchers.
pop.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Yep, we sure do! High ones too.

Funny!

She didn't make it. She was zipping through the widest part of the shell and only made it 3/4 of the way through. Must have been positioned wrong and didn't have enough air. Wish I had helped sooner.
I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom