The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't resist putting an egg in the incubator 5 days after I started the Easter hatch. It was just too beautiful. Well, today/night/morning at 3am my spouse woke me up saying it had hatched! It was another sticky chick, but at least this one managed to get out of his shell before getting glued. We thought he was acting funny so we opened the incubator and sure enough he was super glued to the floor.
idunno.gif
After peeling him off the floor towel (lots of warm water again!) we gave him a warm gentle shower in the sink to get the membrane that was fusing it's wing and leg together off. My spouse got the hair dryer out and toasted him up while I changed out the towel in the incubator to a clean one. He is now very happy and sleeping in the bator.

Can I put him in the brooder with his siblings once he fluffs up? They are almost 7 days old now.
Give it a couple days to get steady on it's feet. Then it will be fine to put in the brooder with the others.

I couldn't resist putting an egg in the incubator 5 days after I started the Easter hatch. It was just too beautiful. Well, today/night/morning at 3am my spouse woke me up saying it had hatched! It was another sticky chick, but at least this one managed to get out of his shell before getting glued. We thought he was acting funny so we opened the incubator and sure enough he was super glued to the floor.
idunno.gif
After peeling him off the floor towel (lots of warm water again!) we gave him a warm gentle shower in the sink to get the membrane that was fusing it's wing and leg together off. My spouse got the hair dryer out and toasted him up while I changed out the towel in the incubator to a clean one. He is now very happy and sleeping in the bator.

Can I put him in the brooder with his siblings once he fluffs up? They are almost 7 days old now.

Yes, they usually accept them at that age. Make sure that the chick is active though. It will need to move if pecked.

idunno.gif

Let that baby get strong enough to run about, then it should be fine in with the others. Congrats on getting that one to hatch. :)

I currently have 2 Indian runner drakes that were supposed to be hens but here we are. Problem is I have 6 hen chickens and they are chasing them around. What would be the minimum number of duck hens to keep them from harassing my chickens. Just fyi they all free range and are penned up at night. The chickens have figured out where the Ducks will and will not go but sometimes it doesn't work out and all of the sudden they are being harassed by the ducks.
ReplyQuote

I currently have 2 Indian runner drakes that were supposed to be hens but here we are. Problem is I have 6 hen chickens and they are chasing them around. What would be the minimum number of duck hens to keep them from harassing my chickens. Just fyi they all free range and are penned up at night. The chickens have figured out where the Ducks will and will not go but sometimes it doesn't work out and all of the sudden they are being harassed by the ducks.
ReplyQuote

One of my idiotic muscovy drakes likes to try to jump the chickens and he's got 5 hens running around with him (and he takes care of all of them too, he's a busy guy alright?). As much as I love ducks, there's the whole internet trope about that duck getting it on with a dead, male duck for a reason. They will tap any fluffy badonkadonk (or nonfluffy, watch out for your shoes) that stands still long enough for them to be like heyyy baby.

If the chickens won't fend them off or they get hurt, seperate the chickens and ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom