The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

10 chicks total! Will have to upload some better pictures when my internet is faster. @bamadude

Awesome.

X2

I had 44 in the brooder. So have Sold 13 and convinced 2 friends to brood 6 each for me. Will be 19 left in the brooder tomorrow. Sigh of relief!

That's great! I'm still trying to establish my flock so I am trying to get more hens and since none of mine are auto sexing I have to wait and figure out what is what before I make any decisions so they will be going to their own coop/run as soon as I can get it up and they are ready to be outside. I have about a dozen Spitzhaubens, a couple Japanese banties and there could be a couple pure brown leghorns, (supposedly a couple other pure possibilities) but the rest as far as I know are mixes.

In the UK they coined it "the hundred day cough". The first week is the worst, and the nights are awful. It clings, so you will feel crummy for a few weeks, but will at least be functional after that first week is over!
Oh good, tomorrow is the first week..started coughing last Fri. Can't believe this! Looking forward to that . . at least more functional time. I am staying away from babies here..my grand children can't come over. I am pretty sure I have what they call ... the croup cough .. here. Very hard on the young and elderly.

I have a customer that would like to pick up half of my chicks today, they are about 2-3days old. They are driving a long distance to come get them which means the chicks would need to drive a long distance to get to their new home, est drive time is 2.5-3hrs. I don't know if I have had someone drive so far for chicks before. Will the chicks fair well enough if they keep the car warm with the heat on and hand warmers are in the box with the chicks, 15 chicks total. I feel they should do ok but wanted to ask for any suggestions on transporting day olds and keeping them warm.

I have personally used hand warmers for my chicks ...to go..most every time when they are this young. No problems as of yet..that's me. I actually keep them on hand in case someone is coming that will have a ways to drive. Don't use them in the summer though.

Happy gave someone a great reminder! CHECK FOR PASTY BUTT! I can't believe how many I have to keep cleaning this time around. It's so important to keep those little bums clean, if not, it goops up, and they can't poop..they stop eating, and of course, you know what happens next.
sad.png

I have a customer that would like to pick up half of my chicks today, they are about 2-3days old. They are driving a long distance to come get them which means the chicks would need to drive a long distance to get to their new home, est drive time is 2.5-3hrs. I don't know if I have had someone drive so far for chicks before. Will the chicks fair well enough if they keep the car warm with the heat on and hand warmers are in the box with the chicks, 15 chicks total. I feel they should do ok but wanted to ask for any suggestions on transporting day olds and keeping them warm.
Don't you worry unless the temperatures are going to be really cold for a long time. A warm car and small box with ventilation holes on top should be fine. No need for hand warmers, just a soft cloth or some bedding will be ok. I raised some chicks with the broody that hatched Nov. 1st last year. No supplemental heating was provided. Although they were with the broody, they did come to out to eat and drink and have fun when the temperature was only in 40s during their first week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom