The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    No but I have two will try that

2. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

So, here I am 22 hours into Day 22 and I have 2 chicks and 1 pipped (and chirping) egg left in my bator. My fertility rate is down, probably because its winter, but its only 68.75%. My hatch rate is about average for me, 77.27%, with 6 early deaths and 9 late. That gave me 51 live chicks, but so far 3 have not thrived in the brooder, and the 2 in the bator are struggling. I'll give them another 24 hours before I cull or transfer to the brooder.

[​IMG]

I had to assist this one out of the shell, its head hasn't straightened out yet.

[​IMG]

A spraddle-legged chick. He just won't keep his feet underneath himself.

Hopefully the last egg will hatch normally, its certainly making lots of noise.

3. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    are you selling these??

4. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Hope they make it. Nice hatch rate for winter post photos of the fuzzy butts when they all fluff out

5. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    I ordered them for prizes to donate. PM me if you want the details. (I donated the one with the water can.)

6. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Ohh too cute poults is that turkeys? What kind?

7. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Welcome! So glad you could join! [​IMG]

That is so sweet. I read about that too. Its better then having to stay up all night holding a chick, right? [​IMG]

I hope all goes well!

Yeah, my chickens LOVE Styrofoam also.

My broodies are great! It's all the other chickens that cause the problems. They try to step on those eggs, dirty those eggs, and break those eggs every chance they get it seems.

Good morning!

That's hilarious! [​IMG] She is beautiful by the way! What breed/cross is she?

I'm sorry to hear they are having trouble. A chick that is having trouble straightening is weak and needs some extra help. When I had chicks like that I would put them in a special little brooder when I was away and when I was around I would hold them in the proper position of standing, supporting their head and body, so that their muscles would get use to it. I also dipped their beaks in measuring spoons with some electrolyte water. After a couple days of being unable to walk, stand, or even straighten their heads they were completely better and now are very healthy young adults.
    As they got better I introduced food, a real waterer (I started with a quail one as they stumbled a lot and I didn't wan them to drown), and eventually they were ready for a normal, large brooder. They loved the safety of a little cave to hide under when feeling nervous.

I hope this helps and they get better. [​IMG]

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Yes, poults are turkeys. I have red bronze and Bourbon red/regal red.

This is a red bronze hen (Sweet Pea)

[​IMG]

And my tom, Adam (Bourbon red/regal red)

[​IMG]

I have a standard bronze hen and Bourbon red hens also :)

9. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Where are you located are you selling them

10. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    Good morning all!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by