The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Here are links to high Lumens candlers from some experienced hatchers

example: Mine is 3000 lumens

CANDLING EGGS
    HOW TO CANDLE EGGS post #40826
    REASONS to NOT candle SO MUCH! http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2013/03/31/5-reasons-why-egg-candling/
    BRINSEA HOW TO CANDLE
    Advice Do not candle between 11 and 14 days of incubation, as it interrupts the movement of the embryo to the length axis of the egg.

Candlers/ FLASHLIGHTS TO CANDLE DARK EGGS & Innovations SUGGESTIONS post #38996
    Strombergs CANDLERS (basic models 4 hobbyist, high intensity models 4 professionals click HERE
    Flashlights - try more than one! post #1689 BEGIN post #2702 post #18179
    Saris Toilet Paper addition to flashlight post #40251
    Clears at CANDLE are not always infertile!​
    post #1825
    SHARPIES on EGGS? Sure! post #10857 & the age old question Can you write on a hatchin egg with sharpie. answer is yes with proof

CANDLER SUGGESTIONS
    see below sweets!
    Quote:
    PowerLux Egg Candler

Product No. EC116 36.95
    Hand held candler. Long lasting LED light. Use on white or brown shelled eggs to candle general embryo development. Comes with two easy to change end pieces for large and small eggs. Cord length 8 ft.
    Looks like it works good post #237

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL

@Sally Sunshine

@Sally Sunshine

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    poly v is liquid baby vitamins. You can find it with baby medicine or near the diapers... just get it with out iron

5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    [​IMG]

Ok, "technically" it just turned twelve...but I feel just like the gif!!! [​IMG]

My pullet, the white one with the black spots...IS LAYING!!! [​IMG] I saw her lay the egg and it's now marked!

Actually I think she's been laying for a while. It's HER that's been giving me pinkish eggs. I believe I have some in the bator. I hope [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] that I get white chicks. Or just something different from the brown chipmunk chicks. I'm thinking my "one"...just one black pullet is laying too! [​IMG] [​IMG]I also see my own hatched pullets from last year checking out the nests.

I have an off the cuff question. I've seen 2 of my black Silkie roosters making nests, setting in their nests and making "hen" noises. I also see some of the Silkie pullets actually laying in the nests...[​IMG]

I've read that Silkies CAN help out with the brood. BUT this morning while I was waiting and watching the hens fight for the nests (nest boxes) to lay their eggs...I see I've got EE roosters doing the same thing as the Silkie roosters at the other end of the coop. They sound extremely upset, just like a hen only louder, when the other rooster wants the "nest." The next rooster gets in, sets like a hen and works at perfecting the nest. They build beautiful nests...but??? Is this normal?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    I have some silkie bantums that hatched in August I wonder if I could get one of them to take her

7. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    9200 w/ egg turner $50.00

8. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

The first water I provide all my chicks is treated with "Stress-aid", from a company called Vetoquinol. Its vitamins and electrolytes.

9. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Awesome ! Thank you

10. jaide

jaide Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Iowa
    If you don't have an automatic turner how often do you all turn your eggs manually?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by