The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Asever1

Asever1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska

I've never hatched Emu eggs before...hatched chickens, quails, ducks, and geese, even personally incubated a few humans, but never emu!!
    Can't wait to see the little guys. [​IMG]
    This is my first hatch-a-long too. Am I supposed to do anything besides rotate my eggs and chat?

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT

Thank you all so much for your encouragement!! This is why I love BYC [​IMG][​IMG]

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We are here for help and encouragement too!

You are the hatch a long. Mike will add you to the list when he is back from a trip.

Post lot's of pictures!

4. Asever1

Asever1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Ok, here is my first picture of the gorgeous emu eggs in my Hovabator! [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Valentines day hatch! That's awesome!

My brother was born on Valentines day.

Howdy! Glad to see you here. [​IMG][​IMG]

I have one white leghorn and one brown leghorn, but I think I might have to get rid of the white one. She is getting older and beginning to lay internal eggs. I don't want her to suffer. However, I love getting a mix of egg colors and so I always have some white eggs, brown eggs, tan eggs, and I love my EEs green eggs! [​IMG]

EMUUUUUU!!!!! Yes! [​IMG]

Welcome! So glad you could join! [​IMG]

I might have to do that too. [​IMG]

What an incredible mix! I can't wait to see the chicks that come out of those eggs! [​IMG]

Adorable! Congratulations!

I would guess roo, but he's still a very handsome little guy all the same. And a survivor too! Its incredible what our little chicks can go through!

Congrats!

Welcome! Its awesome that you could join!

And post lots of pics too!
    [​IMG]

6. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:woot

Good luck with them :fl

8. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Good Friday all!

Had turned a light on in the coop last week, the last 2 days I'm getting eggs again. Have to get the girls going to give me some nice eggs to put in for the easter hatchalong. :)

Got my quail egg inserts for my cabinet-bator, so should be good for the couple boxes coming (hopefully) this weekend. I admit it, I spent hours last night not sleeping and reading up on all the possibilities of quail and quail egg cooking.

Got the chicken socks in today, too, so I've got the two shakers and two pairs of socks for prizes now in hand. :) Can't wait for the contests.

Also was organizing my hatching area, getting it all cleaned up, disinfected, and ready to roll for 2016 hatching. The incubators have kind of piled up. I really need to move on the ones I haven't used in the last couple years. Got two hovabators, one home made 2 tier wooden cabinet one that I don't use, along with turning racks, thermostats wired in, fans. Maybe donate a hovabator for a contest, can you do that with used equipment? I suppose I can put them on craigslist. Would like to free up the space and I already get myself into enough chicken math trouble with the one incubator I DO use. LOL

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  9. nanasacres

nanasacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    CentralFL

I hope your Daughter is able to witness the pip, zip and hatch process of her 3 eggs. Much success for her and her project. I'm sure she will look back on this experience with fond memories of how Mom stuck with her, but allowed her to do by herself. Blessings to you both![​IMG][​IMG]

10. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Oh, those are so pretty. :) I am jealous. I can't tell you how many times I've had to slap my own fingers to avoid getting some to incubate. I am NOT set up for emu, (I love those dinosours!) I am NOT set up for emu, (I could get a pen ready for them before they need one....) I AM NOT set up for EMU!

Good luck with your hatch, I'll live vicariously through you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by