The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Depends on the turkey. I've had a few turkeys that would bully my chickens and ducks and some male turkeys that would attack people, but also had others that were very docile and loved snuggles.

1 person likes this.
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  4. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    My turkeys never went in either, it seemed like they had a fear of gong into a scary dark coop, [​IMG] ...not the smartest creatures.

I have ducks and they go into the coop on their own, they are much smarter than turkeys in that way. They are also great foragers, way better than my chickens, plus they are very cute...

1 person likes this.
  5. LadyCluck77

LadyCluck77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine

That is one of the cutest chicks I have EVER seen! :love

13 out of 14 is about 93% hatch rate, that's fantastic! I'm still working on improving my roughly 60%...

1 person likes this.
  6. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    I have been working on building pens out one for my Olive Eggers and one for my Bantam Wyandottes. So I had the Wyandottes and the Sapphire out of the dog kennel (for quarantine though the time is up) and had put them in the animal playpen that I bought 2 years ago. Of course it is getting brittle from UV exposure. So I am measuring out where I want the T-posts when I hear a ruckus from the front yard. I run out front and see this little Wyandotte Bantam challenging one of the Olive Egger roos who is more than half again his size! And he wasn't backing down. When the big roo would try to pin him to the ground he would wiggle free and scoot through the big roos legs and come up behind him. I had to wait till the big roo had him pinned for a moment to catch him and put him up. The two Wyandotte girls were still in the playpen but the Sapphire was out. I don't know if the roo broke out first or the Sapphire pullet and he followed, but I think he is really sweet on Tizzy the Sapphire. But they have totally shredded the wall of the playpen so I will have to scout for a new one on E-bay.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

8. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    @Sally Sunshine lots of Ancona eggs heading in your direction!

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oooooh, duckling pictures. [​IMG]

10. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I have Welsh Harlequins and one Khaki Campbell, they share the coop with the chickens and free-range during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by