The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

I'm an hour east of Sacramento. I hear ya! God forbid if I ever move out of CA. We keep talking about it, as the taxes here are crazy, but haven't decided on it yet.

We go to the mountains (of Ca) frequently. Over Christmas, it was 6 degrees. That was really darn cold!

2. Gloryjasmine

Gloryjasmine Chillin' With My Peeps

Awe gee thanks!!![​IMG] Yea the weather doesn't have to be doing anything for my internet to suck. That's what I get for living in the boonies!!! Ok c'mon then!!! I'm going to post more.....when service permits. Lol grrrrrrrr

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    SNOW MEN I hope angels in the snow tomorrow!!!

4. Gloryjasmine

Gloryjasmine Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Say hi to my entire family for me please!!! I was just there for Christmas! It was awesome to be home. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] That's what I thought until I met my husband who's a long hauler. I go home as often as I can. Ohhh yes I've spent plenty of time in the Sierra Nevadas!!!!!! Just breathtaking up there!!!

You're around Placerville?

5. karenerwin

karenerwin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 11, 2013
    Cedar Hill, Missouri
    a friend asked me, just tonight, when I will be hatching eggs again. She wants me to hatch some of hers for her, so I'll be adding those to my HAL eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    Sweet!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Nice! I am hoping my friend will have a busy rooster by setting time.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, up 80 near auburn.

9. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Well I gotta say as much as I love you all you are all sounding like big babies to me about the cold. Lol I'm in southern WI and with the last cold snap we had wind chills around -(yes that's negative)30 it really not terribly uncommon here most years in January and February. Don't get me wrong I am born and raised from here but its still unpleasant. It's so cold exposed skin gets frost bite in minutes, your sinuses seemingly freeze and you can't smell, the wind steals your breath and the cold air burns. Trust me from someone with asthma days like that make walking out to the coop a major labor of love. Lol and don't worry you'd better believe I complain when its that cold. For instance tonight so far it's 17* but feels like 2*. After a 40*+ weekend that was rough.

I'm just glad that we got the coop cleaned and dusted before this cold snap. BTW upon inspection nearly all of our thirty birds had a mild case of mites while maybe two had a moderate case. I can't wait to be done with the next mite treatment.

Oh and an update on Jasmine, her crop was finally completely empty tonight so we left her out and gave her food, she will be checked at least five times a day for several more days, but she is finally pooping again as well something I haven't seen in days. I'm afraid to hope but I know that all of this is a good sign especially the about 15(maybe more) piles of poop that were in her crate this evening(we locked her up again at 5 and found the poop at bed check). We will be sure she gets good nutrition food along with her continued vitamin, electrolyte, and probiotics powder from farm and fleet-the bottle says it stimulates digestion and appetite as well(Performance Poultry by Durvet)

10. gotro17

gotro17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    What'd I miss?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by