The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Eggcited!! Looks like I will be able to set some Easter Eggers for the Easter hatch a long

First blue egg from the ladies I got back in October/November.
They laid the first week, then just stopped.
I put them in with my RIR, and today...

I'm leaving the 4 black hens in with the RIRs, so this time will have EEs, After I set those, I will try to get them their own section with their blue rooster.

Eggcited!! Looks like I will be able to set some Easter Eggers for the Easter hatch a long

First blue egg from the ladies I got back in October/November.
They laid the first week, then just stopped.
I put them in with my RIR, and today...

I'm leaving the 4 black hens in with the RIRs, so this time will have EEs, After I set those, I will try to get them their own section with their blue rooster.

Congrats!
ya.gif
This must be a blue egg day!
highfive.gif
That is a nice shade of blue too! Good luck on your EE hatch!
thumbsup.gif

If you got her from a hatchery or a feed store than she isn't Heritage, also most backyard breeders will have hatchery Barred Rocks as well.

If you got her from a reputable breeder source that breeds to the proposed Standard than she is Standard bred, also referred to as Heritage.

Here are my pullets from today

And my cockerels

Cockerel 1 my main guy

and cockerel 2 my back up

These are just stunning!

Lol you guys are cracking me up!!! I'm a California native. Was born and raised in Sacramento. I never knew what "cold" was until I moved east! Waaaah!!!!!We grew up making "a day of going to the snow"!!! When you live in it,it's annoying!

I'm an hour east of Sacramento. I hear ya! God forbid if I ever move out of CA. We keep talking about it, as the taxes here are crazy, but haven't decided on it yet.

We go to the mountains (of Ca) frequently. Over Christmas, it was 6 degrees. That was really darn cold!

As an Iowa native, now living in Wisconsin, cold tolerance is a given.  It's a balmy 18 this am and dropping.  However, from the other end of the scale, I lived west of Phoenix for 4 years.  I was amazed a the heat tolerance I built up!  On the flip side, when I left AZ, moved to Indianapolis (which is quite temperate in comparison to the frozen north), I felt like such a wuss.  I remember it being like 50 degrees out and I literally had on a winter coat and my nose was ice cold to the touch.  How embarassing for a native Iowan!  I've since adjusted back and am back to tolerating the cold quite well, but not quite as well as I used to.  On the up side, I've held on to some of that heat tolerance, not nearly so miserable in the summertime now.  

:gig

Wow that's crazy! As a truckers wife,I've been to all of the lower 48 states. What an awesome experience! I now know what the definition of "cold" actually means. Being raised in Sacramento,which is a dry valley (especially right now with the drought), I was always in the sun. And I love the heat! I actually was born tan,and I get really dark in the summers! The first time I left home,I went to South Dakota. I got out of our rig to help my husband load.....within 10 minutes I was frozen. My teeth were frozen,my head hurt so bad! And believe it or not,my "southern parts" were also FROZEN!!!!! I got back in the truck to thaw out and I was stinging all over! So ...my husband and I joke about 32 being a heatwave! Lol I now live in Sc. And I must be weird because the humidity doesn't bother me. I still love the heat! I love sun. Especially when I have water to get into! We should start a thread on this!!!

My broody turkey lost both her babies today :( apparently, they are ready to leave the nest and explore, and she wasn't. It's 32° here. Both were cold on the floor when I found them :( so upsetting. I won't be letting any turkeys try again until it's much warmer out. The good news is that it didn't look like there was any damage to the poults which means the rest of the turkeys didn't bother them at all. They just got too cold.

My heart breaks for you. I am truly sorry for your loss. You and mother are in my prayers.
God bless you,Glory

Back
Top Bottom