The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

The silvers I will be outcrossing to the big boys, then planning on recapturing the silver in the F2 and selectively breed them larger.

What kind of quail do you have going?

Nevahmind, read the signature, duh. :)

Last edited:
comparing-eggs.png
fig10-01.jpg
label2.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...CWzguqP7Sg8sR-mjtMSG0l-PWH7_yJIEmgVo0cziFMY0e
ya.gif
Oh you have solved my problems for my homemade bator! Because it is homemade the quail cartons and quail rails don't fit it. I can use the rings and make a custom fit for my trays!

Hello Madam Poofy Brow!! I'm glad to see you here honey!!!

I've got great news too! I caught one of my barred rock hens with 5 eggs in a crate in the run!!! I am not comfortable with them being in there due to losing too many to predators,so I gently moved them into a nest in the coop. As soon as I did,both Roozle and Pasqua jumped down off the roost to come see what I had done. I'm not sure which one they belong to yet. But I'll know soon! I decided to go ahead and let a hen or two hatch a clutch. As long as the babies stay close to mama,the cold temperatures shouldn't be an issue. I'm hoping....so so sad about the turkey babies.
1f62a.png
I was wondering when my young hens would go broody and now it's happening!!! Yay! My girls are growing up! When is the EHAL entry deadline?

Congrats to everyone who has precious little lives!!! God is good!
1f64f.png

God bless y'all!
2764.png
Glory

Sorry about being offline for so long, but I have been dealing some troublesome predators. I expect issues with coyotes, foxes, eagles, and other such predatory animals targeting my free-ranging flock. However, I never expected my neighbor to prey upon my flock. Over the last few weeks I have noticed some of my hens not returning to the coop at night. Thinking I had a fox on the property I took my dog and tried to flush it out and get rid of it. Well, it turns out that no fox had moved in. In fact, my neighbor had set a live animal trap about two feet inside their property, facing mine, where my chickens were hanging out during the day. I tried to talk to them, but they wouldn't even come to the gate. They saw me and ran inside their house. So, I took pictures of the trap and contacted the authorities, who said I don't have a valid claim without proof that they have my chickens.
somad.gif
Among the missing are my Cream Legbar hens.
rant.gif
Interestingly, not one of my roosters went missing, only the hens.

There is some good news, I had 8 chicks hatch Sunday/Monday. All 8 already have a new home waiting for them. They should be getting picked up this weekend.

Sounds like you need a game camera to keep and eye on whats going on.and record it.

That is totally lame! And I fully understand because I have those kind of loser neighbors too. I KNOW what I would do too. But everyone is different. I'm very sorry that you're even dealing with this. We,too,have the coyotes,foxes,coons and black snake issues. But,I think having to endure it with your neighbors is worse. I'm so sorry. I like the camera idea. Also,stand in front of their yard,in a neutral area. Where you're not in violation of trespassing. Watch,take pictures and even try calling your girls to you. If need be,take video. It isn't illegal either because our neighbors are so bored and pathetic,we see them doing this everyday! To us!!!! There's gotta be some way that you can get some type of evidence against them. I'll pray for you. In the meantime,try to stay calm and collected. Especially if you don't have bail money!!! That would be my biggest problem.....my temper. We're rooting for you honey!!!!

Back
Top Bottom