The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I fell asleep last night to the dulcet sounds of my first 6
1f423.png
s singing in the next room.
1f60a.png
I wake up to find 2 more wet and several about to zip or pipped. This is the first 6 after fluff all night. I moved them to the brooder. The ones like come on guys. It's not THAT scary. Here. I'll go first... See I'm brave... Hummmm what's out there.
1f602.png

1f423.png
1f60a.png
I wake up to find 2 more wet and several about to zip or pipped.

This is the first 6 after fluff all night. I moved them to the brooder. The ones like come on guys. It's not THAT scary. Here. I'll go first...

See I'm brave... Hummmm what's out there.
1f602.png

Oh! So cute! Congrats!

My husband caught me in the middle of a very intense conversation with my rooster Big Red the other day. He looked at me have me a big hug and said that he loves me no matter how insane I am. Lol

Aw, isn't he special. Be sure to give him chicken paraphnelia (spelling?) for Valentines day. . or maybe tell him the first chick that hatches will be his new best friend.
lau.gif

On a sadder note I was checking water in the incubator and noticed one half zipped but very still and quite egg. Poor thing didn't make it into the world
1f614.png
but that's part of life. I did an eggopithy and it was fully formed, yoke pulled in, just didn't pip or zip right. It's ok. I'll use it as a learning experience for my kids. They need to learn that life doesn't come without the possibility of death.

Last edited:

So sorry for the neighbors

Not sure what to tell you because retaliation on your part may inflame them more.

I KNOW what i'd do

Do you gots bail money?

Unfortunately no bail money. It is all tied up in chicken stuff.

That would be a shame if they "caught" a chicken with a disease. Maybe they are catching and selling them ? Watch craigslist and local sale media. If they are keeping them i would have to slip over and let them out sometime when they're not at home. Best of luck
Unfortunately, I have no way of seeing their coop(s) from my property. Too many trees and shrubs in the way. They also keep chickens for food and eggs. There is no telling if they ate my hens or kept them.

Did you at least keep the trap?

The Serama babies have arrived, they have been hatching since yesterday. I have 14 out of 18 strong babies in the brooder. One in the bator still, against my better judgement I assisted and it is not walking too good. One pipped but never zipped and two with no pips. I will pull the weak one tmr. quickly as I have two runner ducks due on Fri. in lockdown. The next batch is due next Wed. I sure do love my Sportsman and the capacity it has. I love the staggered hatches. It seems that the humidity change for the first hatch did not effect this second batch. We will see how it goes for the other hatches. I do think I want to come up with a separate hatcher at some point in the future. Might look into making a cooler hatcher. Just for peace of mind and ease of operation.
They are so cute! I keep debating on whether to use my small coop. (the one I got for 6 hens because I as only going to have 4 chickens) for seremas, silkies, or keep it as a grow out pen.

My first Isbar chick this year. More to come in the next few days...
big_smile.png

12719242_1137177212961710_5501242179895569056_o.jpg
So cute!
wee.gif

Just candled the first quail eggs I set, 19 silver/tuxedo coturnix eggs, 16 look great, 3 clears - for shipped eggs, not bad at all.
wee.gif
1 week to lockdown.

Candled the biggest of the 105 A&M coturnix, they all looked good, didn't candle them all, they are at 5 days.

Set the last batch of eggs received today after a 3 day delay at the origin, 3 cracked eggs, the rest look good, nice size, jumbo cortunix. Opened the 3 cracked eggs of 50 shipped, pretty big air cells, but the eggs themselves looked fertile and intact.

It's funny, the two that shipped with zero extras were the two with broken eggs, the one with the extras was perfect. There's some cosmic law named after someone that says that that's the way it goes - the inverse proportional law of cracked eggs to eggstras. LOL, S'all right, though, I have more than enough quail eggs to hopefully get me started with plenty to be choosey.

I'll be selecting for egg size and bird size for the next generations, so it's nice to have the variety.

Checked on the little mini brinsea, it was running at 80 degrees tonight, so I gave it a scarf and it popped up to 99.5 steady. To be fair, it is in the basement, which is currently 65 degrees. I wanted to challenge it and see what its limits are. :) The big cabinetobator is holding steady and chugging away beautifully.

T minus 10 days and counting til the quail start popping!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Awesome!
jumpy.gif

I've got 15 silver coturnix coming from Arcadia! They should hatch on the 5th of March. I have two Olive Egger eggs that I will start to hatch along of with them. Now if my Bantam Wyandotttes will lay.
wee.gif
Woo Hoo!
ya.gif
Lots of people hatching silver cots!
celebrate.gif
(Ok, only 3 including me that I know of
tongue.png
but 3 people counts as allot, right?)

Unfortunately no bail money. It is all tied up in chicken stuff.

Unfortunately, I have no way of seeing their coop(s) from my property. Too many trees and shrubs in the way. They also keep chickens for food and eggs. There is no telling if they ate my hens or kept them.
Do you got a trail cam? You could set one up where it can see z trap.

Has anyone used brooder plates with quail? Experience?

Seems like it would work as long as they can't all pile up on each-other. I brood my quail under a heat lamp during the day and a box wrapped with a sleeping bag at night.

This is the box, insulated on all sides by a sleeping bag, I cover the top almost completely for newly hatched babies and only cover it part way for partly feathered ones. The only problem I've had is when they pile up and the big ones can squish the smaller ones.

1f423.png
1f60a.png
I wake up to find 2 more wet and several about to zip or pipped.

This is the first 6 after fluff all night. I moved them to the brooder. The ones like come on guys. It's not THAT scary. Here. I'll go first...

See I'm brave... Hummmm what's out there.
1f602.png
So cute!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom