The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    We have been tip toeing around the subject with my boys until our last hatch was almost a complete fail. We took the opportunity to start touching on the subject.

2. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL

I took some to share. This pen is 32' by 16' and has netting over the top. It is nothing special, just functional. All my coops are made for functionality, and not pretty :( I use a lot of recycled wood... like the feeder in this picture, someone had literally thrown it in a ditch down the road from me. I was so excited!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am just starting to build a mostly identically one to replace to 30' by10' dog kennel that the other 3 peas are in.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Quote:
    Nice looking pen! Looks nicer than mine. My buildings are made of scrap wood or freshly milled wood that shrinks as it dries so some of them look very lopsided lol.

4. dolfi

dolfi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    My mind is getting dirty :drool :love

5. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    My kids took it very well. We've been watching The Lion King a lot lately and my son said its the circle of life... My daughter said God wanted a chick of his own.

6. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So grabbed a fresh bin full of wheat straw to put in the brooders. I was cleaning the little chicks pens and all the girls and guys were wanting to help I guess. Then Lilly decided this is a good place to lay an egg. So I had to put the cleaning on hold till she's done silly hen.

7. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop

"It is about time the human slave gifted me with a proper nest box."

1 person likes this.
  8. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    Oh fresh milled wood sounds nice though! I got really lucky, a friend generously gave me about $1000 worth of old wood from a salt water dock he tore down, so I have been able to build stuff with that which is what i am using for the new pen.
    The house we bought a few years ago had the lean to structure and some of the run framing already. It was weird, it had a roof frame that was 30 feet high. A tree fell on it so we just took the whole roof part down and wrapped the rest in chicken wire. Living in %L, I have all open coops, basically just area to roost and the run for the poultry, and a portioned covered for them to get out of the rain. It makes for low cost chickens!

9. Sahwithchicks

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL

Hahahhaha

10. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Lol she always does this. Once I had a trash bag full of wheat straw on the back porch. And she decided to go into the trash bag and lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by