The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Anyone else having some freezing frigid cold temps this weekend. Starting tonight and into Sunday we are expecting with windchill, -30 to -40 temps. Not the best night to do it but tonight it is time to finally do a little rearranging and get my tree roosting pullets into a new coop. They will finally join their Cockerel. And his brother will finally be moved to a new in a coop of his own with some females.
what do you do about combs and the cold? they loose the tops?

Quote: lovely!!!

Evening all. Have been indulging in a little geeking out the last hour or so, coming up with a plan for my quail project. I've got silver eggs (average eggs), A&M (jumbo eggs), and Jumbo/Pharoah (jumbo eggs) incubating. I love pretty much anything with a silver or lavender type gene, so I eventually want my quail to be all silver. That being said, I would prefer they are nice and big to be useful as well, so I've mapped meself out a plan to get there...

<geek alert....loves me some excel spreadsheets>

I'm cobbling together some breeding plans into a sort of clan based spiral breeding program as follows:

I'm using the rule that each group is a clan (pen) and all chicks produced out of that pen are tagged as that clan, like this:

Of course, if I'm going to geek on this, I MUST assign clan names to the pens...and coat of arms are naturally important...
(hopefully this is visible - if not, enjoy the pretty colors, and pretend it's supercool.
tongue.png
)

Anyway, I plan to cross the silvers out to jumbos, then recapture the silver, running 3 pens that spiral to keep up diversity and avoid crossing too close, blending back in jumbos when needed for size/outcross vigor.
interesting. and no, I dont get much of it without studying!

I set some eggs tonight :)

yesss.gif
yesss.gif
yesss.gif

what do you do about combs and the cold? they loose the tops?
Last year yes. It was so cold that all my males lost their combs. This year the temps have been quite decent, until the last few days and this weekend. So this year my males are ok no frostbite in site. I thought I was going to make it though without my males suffering but this weekend will tell. Its only my Barred rock males Im worried about now, my Cream Legbar lost his comb last winter and the Silkie male is good to go.

Day 8 update on my pre-HAL hatch.... So far 5 out of my 6 show very good development. I did an eggtopsy on the sixth and it wasnt fertile. One of the remaining 5 has a floating darkness in it, it doesn't look like an embryo. But Im not ready to toss that one. Hopefully it's just the embryo at a weird angle. I've got my fingers crossed!!
1f423.png
fl.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: I LOVE live bearers too!!!
love.gif
My first love is goldfish (they're messy like chickens!
gig.gif
) but I ended up with platies and guppies and fell in love!! Never had swords or mollies. I just had lots of plants in my aquarium. My first batch of fry made me late to go combining...I wanted to see some being born...lol!!

The care facility where we just moved my Grandmother has a tank that's filled with guppies. They'll give a bunch to whoever wants some. I plan to get the aquarium/s out. (Shhhh...don't say anything in front of hubby)
wink.png

Quote:
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom