The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Crossing the Road

Aug 23, 2012

What Temperatures Kill In An Incubator? http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-temperatures-kill-in-incubator.html

Brinsea ~ Temperature Guide

High Temperatures
    High temperatures in an incubator are an entirely different matter. Injury or death depends on how hot it gets and how long it is hot. Hot temperatures for brief periods usually cause no problem. But sustained higher temperatures allow the entire interior of the egg to become hot and that is when injury and death occurs. And if it is an older embryo, it is generating heat and this makes overheating even quicker.

There are no black and white limits with overheating. Years ago I lost all the eggs in an incubator when it was 105 degrees for six hours. But on another occasion, I had no losses when the incubator was 102 for four hours. An interior temperature of 103 almost guarantees death.

What To Do When You Discover Your Hot Incubator
    Immediately cool the eggs with water. If you have lots of eggs, spray with a garden sprayer or hose. If you have just a few eggs, dunk each egg in cool, not cold, water. Blow air over the eggs to more quickly cool them. Each time the egg dries, wet it again. Remember that as you cool the eggs, the shell will cool faster than the interior - but it is the embryo in the interior that must be cooled. Therefore, you want to cool the shell lower than the ideal temperature. And as I described above, don't be afraid of cooling them too much as temperatures below ideal will not be a problem.

If you have an infrared thermometer, I would cool the shell to 80-85 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer, hold it against your eye lid. Once it feels slightly cool, put it back in the incubator and turn it on (assuming you have fixed the problem in your incubator!).

2. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    [​IMG] gone!!!

3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012

4. Eps32

Eps32 Songster

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    They need to make just a chicken incubator. That can't go above 102. But I guess that's a very hard thing to do. I never made my own incubator. But I would guess proper heating elements wouldn't allow that. I guess the best thing is an alarm.

5. sbarab

sbarab Songster

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    Thanks for sharing. I think it was just too long. 11:30 pm - 8:15am with temp spike to 127 degrees. I am going to cut my losses and toss these beautiful marans and English orphington eggs. I'm hoping to replace with whatever eggs I can find. I do have about a dozen of barnyard mix ready to go. Hope that I can replace the EOs in the very least.

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    INCUBATION TEMPERATURE

ADD a LEGO to your dial of cheap styro bator to make minor adjustments! GENIUS post #38133
    ALWAYS run your bator a few days first for temp swings post #9129
    What is the maximum and minimum range of temp I can go before killing the chicks? post #12473
    ZONES OF COLD INJURY fro EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT post #36213
    HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC ITS THE SEASON! see post #522
    Emergency Preparations: It's COLD Outside! http://www.greenandhealthy.info/emergencyheat.html
    10/13 day old embryos begin to produce excess heat in the incubator post #27240
    MY EGGS ARE COOKING TEMP TOO HIGH HELP post #14649
    TEMP SPIKE DID I KILL THEM! read bottom post #8814

ALWAYS ROTATE EGGS IN BATOR AT CANDLE DAYS ! Uneven temps in bators post #50418

Incubators w/ fans & w/o fans need to run at DIFFERENT TEMPS! WHERE AT AND WHAT LEVEL SHOULD I TAKE TEMPS?? post #31175

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    [​IMG] so sorry

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    HUMIDITY

Humidity is NOT a set number!

Its a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg!

KEEPING MOLD and BACTERIAL from growing in water WELLS during incubation post #1644
    USING a aquarium pump to humidify incubator Begin post post #42512
    TIPS n TRICKS to raising humidity in incubators post #42512

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  9. Wow.

That would be genius

10. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Most of the cabinet incubators have this feature. There is a second thermostat that will cup off the heat if it gets to 102.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: