The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Hey Guys!  Two of the six eggs I put under my broody silkie hatched! One yesterday and one today. :love  

I put them under her on March 1 or 2. How long should I give the other eggs before I toss them?  

If she already had a few previous hatches toss them when she gets up. If it's her first time, candle 24 hours after first hatched, and then decided if there are any that you should leave. Some hens will just keep sitting on duds and let the chicks wander off and die. Others will follow the first chick to move, and leave any nearly hatched eggs to die.

A really good broody will toss duds and hatch the viables, but I've only had 1 out of 7 that have been broody able to do that.

I also woke up to a chick! Plus four more pips and a zipper!

I have 1 hatched, and two more pipped. Thank goodness for the wine or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Congrats! Lovely little chick. ;) Wish I had some of your wine. I went to bed last night with one egg pipped. I was calm, not too over anxious. This is my third year hatching, so, it'll all be okay. All I did last night was dream about eggs hatching, or not hatching, or turning into something else and running away. Now it's morning, and I don't feel like I slept a bit last night. But I now have 4 eggs pipped, so that's good at least.

Back
Top Bottom