The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

What is shrink wrapping mean with the eggs? I do know what I means in general.
big_smile.png

If there is a sudden humidity drop during lockdown, especially if some of the eggs have already pipped, the membrane can draw tight around the chick and dry out so the chick can have trouble, or can't get out of the egg.

I need a quick answer:
How many chicks should my Welsummer mama have? Right now she has six babies and 3 more pipped. And, I have 2 chicks in my Bator and 3 trying to hatch. Well, what Ik trying to ask is should I give my broody silkie some Chicks so that the Welsummer doesn't have too many and kill them?

If it is a LF Welsummer and not a bantam, you can probably safely give her all the chicks you mentioned, which would be a total of 14 chicks, right? Last year for the EHAL I had two broody LF hens just in time for the end of the hatch(a Buff Orpington & a Barred Rock), and I gave each of them 15 or 16 chicks which they cared for with no problems.
thumbsup.gif

My cream legbar babies have hatched! 2 boys 2 girls and one that is in-between in coloring
roll.png
so gonna have to wait and see for that one lol. I also have call duck eggs that should hatch the 29th, (not for the hal) very excited for call babies!
wee.gif

Total of 5 hatched

Back from my bike ride, run & yoga... Now have 6 chicks. First time ever I've had them dry in the incubater - in the past my humidity was too high. Just a few eggs to go - but they have a while yet.

This is my first try, set on the 5th . Day 18 all had movement inside , now it's the day before hatch and no rocking it internal peeping ... I'm so afraid that nothing's going to happen... No sign of life since lockdown
1f615.png
was hoping for some reassurance .

If your temps are low, they will be late.

I moved mine out when it was getting crowded, just get some hot water ready and put a little more in your water wells and quickly close it back up.  That is how I do it, and it works for me. the thing is get in and out as fast as you can, pull the chicks, close it up then move babies to the brooder.
It wont hurt the externally pipped ones or anything? I'm paranoid of hurting them but these chickies are getting crazy in there!

I'll pull chicks when my humidity is high, provided nobody is zipping.

With that many (styro bator?) I'd go ahead and quickly remove them... got a spray bottle of warm water handy? Pull them quick, give a spritz or 2 along the sides not directly on the eggs and close her back up... but that's just my opinion... :D

These are in a Brinsea, so to me, it's not as easy to open as the styros were.  Those I could do 1 handed, this one takes 2 people or you need to take the whole cover off, set it down, take out chicks and put it back on.  

Brinsea's recover humidity really fast, it shouldn't be a problem.

HELP - More successful hatches overnight but I think I have one that might need help!!

It's been partially zipped since yesterday evening and I've heard muffled cheeping but it doesn't seem to be able to make more progress than the half zip...

I was SURE it would be out by this morning but it's the same way still...what should I do ??!!!

What color is the membrane? If it is brown or clear looking, the chick is stuck.

I need a quick answer:
How many chicks should my Welsummer mama have? Right now she has six babies and 3 more pipped. And, I have 2 chicks in my Bator and 3 trying to hatch. Well, what Ik trying to ask is should I give my broody silkie some Chicks so that the Welsummer doesn't have too many and kill them?

It depends, welsummers are not a broody breed.

I'm pretty sure my hatch is done. Out of 27 that went into the incubator on the 5th, 18 made it to lockdown. I've got 11 health chicks. I'm pretty sure the 7 remaining eggs are dead. It's been my experience, that if an egg isn't pipped within 48 hours of the first hatch, it's not going to.

Ok, I have good and bad news. The good news is that the chick I assisted last night is doing well. The bad news is that out of the other 18 eggs left in the incubator, one is alive. The rest apparently got shrink wrapped like 2 days before hatch, due to my crappy incubator. I'm hoping the last little guy makes it though!
what kind of incubator do you have?

Is it just me or does anyone else have extreme slackers. I had 2 hatch but no one else has pipped. I have been using a spray bottle and keeping the moisture up. It got past 80%. Plus the temperature has been all over the place since my room is always changing temperature as well. The two that hatch are doing very well though. The others are alive, I candled them and they were all moving with a internal pip.
me, too.my eggs were due yesterday and I still have a bunch not hatched.

Have 1 I had to help still in the incubator. Not sure if it'll make it. I did see a pip on one of my other Dominique eggs! I'm going to have to go out somewhere today just so I am not checking the incubator every 30 seconds.

New fluffers!!!!!! Black Ameraucana chick

Checked under my broody but nothing yet hopefully old red is doing his job but I'm waiting a bit cause the eggs have good weight to them and none smell rotten

Back
Top Bottom