The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

whats going on CC?  I am heading to the incu w/friends thread see you over there

Sally, had 15 on day ten that were infertile. Had a couple of blood rings, and I did have some temp issues between days 10-14.
I've mentioned the infertile issue with my silkie eggs before, but I think the rest of the inserts were due to outdoor temps during collection.
One day was in the forties, the next day was in single digits. :idunno

Gotta find some time in the next few weeks to finish my cabinet bator, having poor performance from the one hova lately. :rant

So what I've learned this go round.
1. Don't put paper towels under eggs over water source. Very effective vapor barrier and my humidity would not go up to save me. By the time I figured this out too late. Many lost to shrink wrap.
2. I did not hook up my contraption for adding for heated moisture. I wil next time.
3 I going to clean the incubator between day 18 and lock down keeping eggs in the styrofoam incubator while doing so. I think there is too much bacteria growing in those 18 days. Could be wrong but shouldn't hurt
4. I'm going to put important information on the pointed part of egg. All information that I was counting on was destroyed at hatch. And remember to write the information down if I have a quitter. This will be important for future hatches if the hen is not giving fertile eggs. Also take a picture of the egg so I remember which were the infertile ones.
5 Something I've learned from at least two fellow hatchers if I ever get an incubator with a removable temperature sensor to some how attach it inside the incubator as I could just as easily left it out as well.

Oh almost forgot that I told a friend that I would take some eggs from his brothers Buff Orpington's when he came back from visiting this weekend so I may be starting the incubator again. Oh darn. :lau

Hello,
Yes! Emu eggs are in the incubator... I placed four eggs but I'm thinking that maybe two of them are not fertile. Two are losing weight as they should but two are sadly not. I don't believe it is an issue with temp or humidity as they are all in the same incubator and two are doing just fine. So sad if they are in fact not going to hatch.
lau.gif
I'm happy if we get two, but FOUR would have been awesome!!! I will keep them all going just in case....
Can we please get an update on the emu eggs?
pop.gif

Our hatch has started!!! 1 of 7 in our small bator. and 3 of 13 in the large one.. FUN!
That is so awesome!
So sad: hatch result 0/4.
I'm sorry, but don't give up.
When do you guys think that it is okay for me to put my broody and her babies in with the big flock
How long has she been separated? Is she within view of the flock?
When do we need our totals in by?
As soon as possible.

So far I had 3 hatches today... Still 2 pips and 4 that I'm unsure about. So happy about my first hatch so far. This is so exciting!!! My Silkie Wyandotte mixes are so cute. Will try to put pics up tomorrow or Tuesday when I'm sure my hatch is done.
1f917.png

so after setting 12 eggs I ended up throwing 4 out because they weren't fertile. today I had a total of 5 chicks hatch out of 8, not a total loss but not as good as my previous 2 hatches.

Back
Top Bottom