The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I've had chicks popping out everywhere. Yesterday there was no movement in the bator except on pip that had pipped the morning before. Yesterday night, I noticed some blood around the pip. This had happened once before, and I'd researched what to do when they pip through a vein. I peeled back just enough shell to get cornstarch on the vein, and put her back in. The bleeding had stopped this morning, but she still hadn't made any progress. I got her out the rest of the way. Turns out, her umbilical cord had snapped too early on and she had been bleeding for awhile, with a good bit in the bottom of the egg. Still alive and peeping her head off, I got the bleeding stopped and held her keeping her warm until I was sure it wasn't going to start back. She is back in the incubator sleeping now. She seems okay, and I hope she's doing better when she wakes up. Anything else I can do? I've helped countless chicks and have never had anything like this happen. Any help is appreciated!
Iodine or betadine on the wound so that others won't pick at it, will also help to disinfect it.

One serama hatched
wee.gif
... 2 on their way.... 3 not doing anything
So cute!
love.gif

Duckiiiiiies
THOSE ARE SO CUTE!!!! I luv little duckies
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Thank you!!
wee.gif

I MUST hatch ducks.... Can't ..... Resist..... Any ....... Longer.......
YES
tongue.png
You MUST hatch them, they are just too cute to not hatch!

As soon as I get the bator cleaned out I'll be adding DUCKS.......................again
hide.gif
Duckies!!!
wee.gif

Iodine or betadine on the wound so that others won't pick at it, will also help to disinfect it.

Thanks and will do! She is up stumbling around the bator. Though it seems like egg goo has dried around her eyes and she can't open them. Should I wash with a warm damp cloth, or wait it out and hope it falls off?

Back
Top Bottom