The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

How can I tell if a duckling is getting enough to eat? With my chicks, the crops are very easy to see when full but I can't seem to figure out the ducklings.

flocktastic, I'm glad you listened to that voice. I think your little chick is adorable.
hugs.gif

My first to hatch was our very first Snowy Call duckling... :celebrate

Lost most of my chick hatch due to not pushing the humidity pan far enough back so it ran dry a full day early while we were gone... :/

But still got a bunch of chickies...

Lavender Ameraucana...

Black Ameraucana...

Cream Legbar pullet...

Cream Legbar cockerel...

Araucana...

8 Call ducklings
56 chicks

64 total hatched...

My first to hatch was our very first Snowy Call duckling...
celebrate.gif

Lost most of my chick hatch due to not pushing the humidity pan far enough back so it ran dry a full day early while we were gone...
hmm.png

Lavender Ameraucana...

Black Ameraucana...

Cream Legbar pullet...

Cream Legbar cockerel...

Araucana...

8 Call ducklings
56 chicks

64 total hatched...

They are beautiful @RavynFallen I can't decide which one I like best!

My total count was 40/47 eggs set. My best hatch EVER!!! I was really worried about the late one. She was shrink wrapped in top where she piped and I had to assist. Very bloody shell and the yoke hadn't absorber all the way.

I left her in the incubator for 24 hours thinking she would die and didn't want the others to hurt her worse. I look in the next day to find a fluffy, bouncy little black bantam just as lively as you could wish. I put her in confinement for another 24 hours to grow and then she was playing with the others. Just as happy as a clam.
1f389.png
1f389.png
1f38a.png
1f38a.png
1f38a.png
1f389.png
1f389.png

On a sad note one of the ones I sold for Easter has something wrong and they think she will be lost. I will replace her and ask questions as to what happened. If it was a simple mistake maybe I can educate. I'll be passing this site on to them as well for support. 5 am texts are slightly unwelcome but given the situation I wasn't to upset.

We got a whooping FOUR eggs today!!!
1f601.png
except one was laid in the run next to the waterer so Gator can have that and one I dropped taking out of my pocket once I got inside
1f602.png

And yesterday we got 3.
celebrate.gif
Congrats!

OMG!! I had to skip 300+ post again. If I haven't already here are my final numbers.

Total hatched 93 chicken and 14 quail

Not sure if this counts in the total 1 chick and 1 quail died in the brooder after that hatch count.

Hope I did not miss a post about the emu. I guess I will have to sort through them all.
I haven't seen an emu update yet
pop.gif

Does anyone have advice for splay leg? One of the chicks I had to assist appears to have it
sad.png
And all the other times I had chicks with it they died.

I have a silkie chick with legs like this

What do I do?
I don't know too much about how to treat it, but posted some links that might be helpful in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ith-a-bad-foot-and-straddle-leg#post_16769512

My first to hatch was our very first Snowy Call duckling...
celebrate.gif

Lost most of my chick hatch due to not pushing the humidity pan far enough back so it ran dry a full day early while we were gone...
hmm.png

Lavender Ameraucana...

Black Ameraucana...

Cream Legbar pullet...

Cream Legbar cockerel...

Araucana...

8 Call ducklings
56 chicks

64 total hatched...

ADORABLE
love.gif
I have some call eggs due today, the waiting is killing me!
he.gif

Thank You Kelly!
Thanks Mike!

This is my first time hatching. I am incubating 9 Ancona Duck eggs. I have a still-air incubator, which I'm familiar with now, after practicing for a week. They just set today.
Congrats!

Does anyone have advice for splay leg? One of the chicks I had to assist appears to have it
sad.png
And all the other times I had chicks with it they died.
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

I have a silkie chick with legs like this

What do I do?
Treat for splayed leg: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

I'm very late coming into this - did any chicks actually hatch on Easter?
Quite a few hatched on Easter.

Back
Top Bottom