The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Yes we did put up a barrier to prevent further incidents. I kind of thought she might have been protecting her nest but then why did she let the silkie in?
The thing is we've been checking on the broodies more than six times a day(that is not to say we're messing with the buff that often just checking and making sure the chicks are all accounted for etc etc.) the little black oegb was only a day or two old so I was surprised it was even out.

Thank you for your input as with everything its a learning experience these are my first broodies and I now know that when it comes time to hatch them it's better to be able to separate them completely. I never would have guessed that she would defend her nest in that way against a chick. We had just checked on them less than ten minutes before we found the chick so it was very very fast with no hints or anything that set off alarm bells in our minds. I'm hoping once her hatch is over and she brings her chicks out she can rejoin the other broodies in a couple of days. But we'll take it easy and wait and see.

Yes we did put up a barrier to prevent further incidents. I kind of thought she might have been protecting her nest but then why did she let the silkie in?
The thing is we've been checking on the broodies more than six times a day(that is not to say we're messing with the buff that often just checking and making sure the chicks are all accounted for etc etc.) the little black oegb was only a day or two old so I was surprised it was even out.

Thank you for your input as with everything its a learning experience these are my first broodies and I now know that when it comes time to hatch them it's better to be able to separate them completely. I never would have guessed that she would defend her nest in that way against a chick. We had just checked on them less than ten minutes before we found the chick so it was very very fast with no hints or anything that set off alarm bells in our minds. I'm hoping once her hatch is over and she brings her chicks out she can rejoin the other broodies in a couple of days. But we'll take it easy and wait and see.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, it is difficult when you try so hard and something still goes wrong. :hugs

I would expect that the hen was totally caught by surprise and instinctively reacted to protect her nest. When they feel hatching going on they are in a very hyper protective mind set, the chick you found later probably caught her in a more 'mama mode' mindset.

If you go to the 'old fashioned broody hen' thread and do a search under my user name for the word 'stages' it should bring up some posts which talk about a hen's reactions during different stages of their brood...

Some broodies prefer isolation and never tolerate other hens or chicks but don't be surprised if you see the hens fight with each other but tend chicks which aren't theirs...and you may be lucky enough to have hens who cooperate with each other. We have hens which fall into each of those descriptions and only experience or exposure will tell you what yours will do. Using broodies is often frustrating but still worth the effort in my opinion.

Hope you all don't mind, i want to share some pictures from my recent hatch!

Cross (welsummer/easter egger)

Bourbon red poults

And some super fluff balls - salmon faverolles chicks

So cute!

What is the next Hal after the April one? Because depending on how much time I have I might be able to be in it
smile.png
Cinco de Mayo. It's already out there.

Quote: Agree completely. I have had it happen to me too. It takes practice to learn how to manage multiple broodies, but it's worth it IMO.

Bourbon red poults

The fluffieness is too cute!
love.gif

The winners of the Caption #2 Contest are:

1st Place:

Brittsplace
900x900px-LL-33719ec2_Funny-Shocked-Chicken-FunnyPica.com_.jpeg

2nd Place:

Blooie
900x900px-LL-5fc3c27e_Holdmuhbeer.jpeg

3rd Place:

Cynthia12
900x900px-LL-e6a13ec9_1826749413pizapw1456430445.jpeg

Congratulations!​

Congrats!

Last edited:
Good thing is I can stagger a plenty in the cooler cabinet and use the reg coolers for hatching.... keeps clean and sweet to use the cabinet with the results of a reg cooler

That picture makes me laugh and smile!

Bourbon red poults

Cute!

What is the next Hal after the April one? Because depending on how much time I have I might be able to be in it
smile.png

May!

I hatched 2 out of 39. But we have some fertility issues. We threw out 19 on day 7 that were clear and I can't actually candle my darker eggs, but turns out most of them weren't fertile either. Out of 39 I had 12 that were definately fertile. My husband thinks getting the auto turner will help. Thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom