The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Hahaha you enabler you :p

But you know you're probably right...

But now the question..

3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Partridge Rock, 6 assortment, eggs from Meyer

(Or add some brahma or BR in there lol)

OR

Like 10 or 12 actual gorgeous possible show quality SS from ebay.....

Or ebay assorted/mixed flock eggs too....

Or do I get both....

Or do I add some Wyandottes....

Or more Orps....

Ohhhhh the possibilities!!

Hahahah

Get all of them and add whatever other eggs you can get into your incuabator!

Last edited:
I'm officially in!!
LL
I have eggs coming next week and will get the incubator out this weekend and get it ready. I hope I have some broodies before hatch day gets here. :fl Right now, I have one pullet that has been sitting for a week. A friend is bringing some of her Welsummer eggs over to give her. Too early for the hatchalong but I didn't want to try and break her. I hope she can hatch some replacements for my friend...none of her Welsummers went broody last year so she need some replacements badly.
Great news Mary :fl Hope the broodies get going too :fl
Little rascals ! Hope you find them.
I know they sure are!
Th They hiding the eastereggs from you lol
:gig
I also am trying to collect eggs for the HAL and I'm trying to focus on hatching out OE's and FBCM's only. Of course, my F2 OE laid an egg yesterday then managed to get poop on it and today my FBCM laid an egg, also with poop on it. Sigh. I just started using excelsior nest box pads this week. Prior to this I was using shavings. I cleaned out all three nest boxes... no poop. IT'S JUST ON THE EGGS. :rant Has anyone successfully cleaned poop off of eggs and had a successful hatch?
If they are really bad I will clean some of it off with diluted bleach water but not soak the egg. If it's just a little bit I leave them be and it's not been a problem.
Look what I got today!
First goose egg of the year. This one froze, so I'm gonna have to put a heat lamp up over the nest until the temps rise, but this is great! Hopefully I can get one or two more in the next two days and set them for the hatch a long.
:ya
I'll be setting all chicken eggs. I have some in the Brinsea that are due on the 24th. I have a cabinet and a Hovobator. Hopefully I can fill them all up
That's plenty of eggs if you fill them up :D

@ronott1 that one i was asking about was most defiantly rotten. its out for sure. my styro-incubator as had a 45-50 % humidity the whole time, and temp as stayed at 99.8 . I haven't had to add any water at all.
thumbsup.gif

Humidity goes down below 20% where I live in Woodland CA without water in the incubator. Humidity sounds fine for hatching.

Good job getting the bad egg out!

I'm thinking about som silkies later on this year I don't have my coop set up for them yet
I took photos of my sillies that grew some through the winter. I usually have whites..but I am loving these blue and blacks..and that splsh! Had 14 babies hatch from Ravyn's eggs. Kept these for now.
B]
Not sure if this worked.. will get on my pc later. I have more photos. ;)

I took photos of my sillies that grew some through the winter. I usually have whites..but I am loving these blue and blacks..and that splsh! Had 14 babies hatch from Ravyn's eggs. Kept these for now.
B]
Not sure if this worked.. will get on my pc later. I have more photos. ;)

They look cute I'm going to get some later this year just chick poor at the moment already have now 24 and possible 64 on the way lol

My ducklings go on lockdown today. I'm going to wait till Maddy gets home from school and then lock them eggies down!
clap.gif

I've got another batch of eggs in the incubator; it's a good thing I have one to act as a hatcher. I now have chicken eggs with 3 different hatch dates, duck eggs with another date, and turkey eggs on lockdown. It's day 28 1/2 for the Turkeys and no action yet, but they got a few hours of cold when I moved to my new house a couple weeks ago. I think I saw an egg wiggle when I gobbled at it earlier. Very excited for the newest batch of chicken eggs as i have a bunch of crested cream legbar eggs in the incubator from CJ. (also excited to see pips when I get home-I hope...
fl.gif
)

For the hatchalong, I will be setting Isbar eggs and possibly showgirl eggs
Yay! I'll be hatching cream legbar eggs too. Must have more blue layers.

Gave up on the last 3 eggs. One was a not

fertile egg (missed that one) 2 early quitters or didn't peep. 9 total amerucans
Congrats on the chicks!

I have a second chick!

But I think that will be it
sad.png
Kinda ruins my good hatch rate streak...... Ah well.

I also picked up some silkie and SLW chicks today, so the two I hatched will have some company (and it's a good excuse to buy more chickens!
lau.gif
). I'll get some pictures later. I know everyone LOVES tiny baby chick pictures
tongue.png
Yay! And yes, we all love chick pictures.

Alrighty I think that it's safe to say that my first hatch of chicks is finally done. I have 12 little happy and healthy peepers. They are all so adorable. Had some some losses along the way, but these little babies are survivors.

That's not all. I have 5 duck eggs in lockdown and I'm expecting 5 little ducklings over the weekend. I'm hoping that it will be a smoother process. I about died waiting on the chicks to hatch out. But there were many more of them. Congrats to everyone on their successful hatches and lessons that were learned along the way. I'm feeling confident after this first hatch and I'm looking forward to my next hatch for the EHAL.
1f601.png
Congrats and good luck with the duckling hatches!

I have pips! The turkeys always seem to hatch a day early for me and since they're all due tomorrow, most will probably be out by bed time tonight lol. Tomorrow, all the chicks will probably start to make their appearances.
Congrats!

I get 100 lbs of it for 22 dollars. Not bad at all. My chickens prefer it over anything that I have bought in a bag. 18 percent protein.
Fantastic score!

I've already got 4 dozen eggs lined up for the HAL
hide.gif

...... and that isn't counting any bantam eggs I gather to set.
celebrate.gif

Well..... I was going to start collecting eggs for the HAL today as they have been steady away on the laying. Not an egg to be seen when I checked in the nest boxes
sad.png
Today you will get LOTS of eggs!

Swedish flower babies
wee.gif
Cuties!

I'm officially in!!
I have eggs coming next week and will get the incubator out this weekend and get it ready. I hope I have some broodies before hatch day gets here.
fl.gif

Right now, I have one pullet that has been sitting for a week. A friend is bringing some of her Welsummer eggs over to give her. Too early for the hatchalong but I didn't want to try and break her. I hope she can hatch some replacements for my friend...none of her Welsummers went broody last year so she need some replacements badly.
Yay! Welsummers don't usually go broody, I have other breeds for my broodiees. I did have 1 Wellie pullet go broody last summer.

I also am trying to collect eggs for the HAL and I'm trying to focus on hatching out OE's and FBCM's only. Of course, my F2 OE laid an egg yesterday then managed to get poop on it and today my FBCM laid an egg, also with poop on it. Sigh. I just started using excelsior nest box pads this week. Prior to this I was using shavings. I cleaned out all three nest boxes... no poop. IT'S JUST ON THE EGGS.
rant.gif

Has anyone successfully cleaned poop off of eggs and had a successful hatch?
If it's not a lot of poop, I have scraped it off with a fingernail if dry and incubated anyway. If it's wet, a damp paper towel works well.

Look what I got today!

First goose egg of the year. This one froze, so I'm gonna have to put a heat lamp up over the nest until the temps rise, but this is great! Hopefully I can get one or two more in the next two days and set them for the hatch a long.
Oh yay, goose eggs!

has anyone candle an egg at the 10th day of incubation that its real dark when candled and looks globby? there is no blood ring, and air sac is good, it kind of looks like day 16, except its globby looking. some darkness is lighter in some spots then others.... does anyone have any idea what might be the issue?
I see you already got a lot of answers here. If it smells, get rid of it.

Collected 2 Cochin eggs today. They are currently sitting in my room, I am to sick to care right now...
Hope you feel better soon!

I HAVE A CHICK!!! They were not supposed to hatch till Sat, I just put them in lock down Wed, yesterday, crazy, they are bantams and I know they can be early but wow that is EARLY, oh so tiny and cute,

I kept hearing chirping and thought it was the TV and finally really focused and no birds on the tv so I went and looked,!!!

celebrate.gif
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom