The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Let me know if you ever figure it out.  What you described is exactly what happens to me on every hatch.  You didn't say how many didn't hatch, but if I get 50% I'm doing good!  One of the main reasons I don't hatch much anymore.  Especially when you spend $50+ on shipped eggs, it gets old quick.  On this hatch I set 15 eggs, and ended up with 7 chicks.  Only 2 were clear and/or quit.  I've tried everything I know of to fix it.  Dry incubating till the end, 50% humidity, and everything in between.   60% at hatch or 90% humidity at hatch.. it doesn't matter, same result every time. Tried different incubators, table tops and cabinets... same deal.  Someone asked you if your eggs pipped internally... and I've had it both ways.... No pips, internal pips, external pips.... usually all on the same hatch!  It sure gets frustrating.  

My eggs from two different coops, only four laying so it took a few weeks, many frozen eggs in between. Didn't expect a good hatch cause of this, but didn't expect mostly viable chicks. 34 to start, pulled five clears and blood rings, and marked one that I was sure was early quiter but left in. 13 hatched so 15 that look like they should have hatched. I could deal with 15 no good at all, but this is crappy.

@Beer can
 , here's another:
http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C...os/05HowTo5-BreakOutandAnalyseHatchDebris.pdf

Curiously, what incubator did you use and were the failed eggs randomly placed? In my RCOM I almost always lose the four in the corners. :(

Hova 1588 with the IncuTurn, 15 like this so pretty random places I'd say but I really didn't keep up on where they where, and they got moved around a lot when the bunch hatched.
Majority hatched last yr, don't remember exactly but it was around 30 out of 36, didn't eggtopsy last yr just tossed.
Going to check out your links, thanks.

Last edited:
Just curious, did you use the IncuTurn on the prior hatch?

I also used an IncuTurn this time, always hand turned before. Ive had 5 malpositions this hatch, 2 hatched on their own, 3 I'm still waiting on debating if i should help and 4 more have done nothing. Ive never had wrong end pips when hand turning. But theyre also shipped so not sure.

Yes used the IncuTurn last time and had a really good hatch. Jersey Giant's mostly last time and naked necks this time.

Running a day late on hatch but for awhile they were popping like popcorn. 14 babies at last count. Only about 50 percent of the eggs I set. Hoping they aren't done yet.

Had the deceased ones pipped internally?

No, no internal pip.
They were still curled up. Membrane intact, tough membrane but not dried onto them. Looked like maybe died the day all the rest pipped and popped out.
Other than not being alive looked just as developed as the one's that hatched.

The only other thing I can think of is air flow. Chicks hatching need more oxygen. Does the incubator have plugs to remove?

Got home from the beach today to find one hatched chick and seven pips! Since I've been home, two Kore have hatched! I named the first one Bunny, and I have a fa,oily coming to pick out 13 on Tuesday, so I'm glad I'll have some gone soon. I love them, but I can't feed 100 chickens right now!

My hatch is over. I set 26 eggs. Only 7 of them were fertile. One died in the shell. 6 hatched. One of the 6 that hatched died after hatching. I ended up with 5 buff orpington balls of fluff.

For anyone having a hard time tallying up their newly hatched chicks:

I'm a rule player. So....according to the Rules of Chicken Math I have 0 chickens. I need to get busy!!!!
**Chicken math - explained!**
"Official Rules for Counting Chickens."

Are sure you are counting your birds correctly? There are specific rules that apply:
1. You do not count any eggs in the incubator because you don't count your chickens before they hatch.
2. You don’t count chickens that were given as a gift because they were a present and are more properly considered a gift rather than a chicken.
3. You do not count any bird under 18 weeks old because they are too young to lay eggs so they are considered juveniles rather than chickens.
4. You don't count bantams because bantams are considered bantams rather than chickens.
5. You don't count ornamental birds because they are ornamental and are considered yard art, folk art, or fine art rather than chickens.
6. You don’t count birds beyond laying age because they’re retired and don’t lay eggs and are considered retirees rather than chickens.
7. You don’t count birds in molt because they’re are in molt and missing feathers so cannot be properly considered as complete chickens.
8. You don’t count males because males are for the production of meat and count as a food source rather than chickens.
9. You don’t count males even if they’re not destined for meat productions because they are protectors of the flock and are more accurately considered guard dogs rather than chickens.
10. You don’t count laying hens because they produce eggs and thus are more accurately described as a food source rather than chickens.
11. You don’t count sick or injured birds because they are sick or injured and their disposition is in question so they go on the injured or sick list not on your list of chickens.
12. You don’t count birds that are for sale or possibly for sale because they belong or will belong to someone else.

Thus, if you follow the rules (and it is always good to follow the rules) you may only count healthy full size female chickens that are not in molt and not a gift and are of laying age but not laying.

Happy counting!

P.S. it doesn't count if they are adopted either.

Back
Top Bottom