The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Only second time I've used a incubator and did lot better last time.
Ok, so now where I went wrong?
Didn't open incubator after lockdown and not for 24hrs after first 13 hatched.
Decided to remove 13 quick, was no pips in any other eggs.

Humidity holding 60-65%, 70% when eggs were hatching. I ran dry, lower than last hatch, 24% until lockdown. Thought air cells looked fine.

Another 24hrs later, here's the bad, eggs were good. Did a eggtopsy.
I figured they were going to be undeveloped rotten early mid or late quitters.
Nope, all fully developed dead chicks.
They didn't look shrink wrapped or drowned. Looked like they should have hatched.
Not sure when they died. I was using the flat roller turner 'IncuTurn' and they got pushed around a lot by the first chicks that hatched. IDK??
Any suggestions on where I went wrong?
Let me know if you ever figure it out. What you described is exactly what happens to me on every hatch. You didn't say how many didn't hatch, but if I get 50% I'm doing good! One of the main reasons I don't hatch much anymore. Especially when you spend $50+ on shipped eggs, it gets old quick. On this hatch I set 15 eggs, and ended up with 7 chicks. Only 2 were clear and/or quit. I've tried everything I know of to fix it. Dry incubating till the end, 50% humidity, and everything in between. 60% at hatch or 90% humidity at hatch.. it doesn't matter, same result every time. Tried different incubators, table tops and cabinets... same deal. Someone asked you if your eggs pipped internally... and I've had it both ways.... No pips, internal pips, external pips.... usually all on the same hatch! It sure gets frustrating.

Were they all in the correct position with their beaks under their right wings?

Hmm, didn't know or notice that before. Yup, all with curled around under right wing.
I was thinking their heads maybe pointing in wrong direction the way they are, but it looks like with the head curled like that in a tight spot does put the beak in position to pip right at the edge of the air cell where all the rest did.

@Beer can , here's another:
http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C...os/05HowTo5-BreakOutandAnalyseHatchDebris.pdf

Curiously, what incubator did you use and were the failed eggs randomly placed? In my RCOM I almost always lose the four in the corners.
sad.png

Only second time I've used a incubator and did lot better last time.
Ok, so now where I went wrong?
Didn't open incubator after lockdown and not for 24hrs after first 13 hatched.
Decided to remove 13 quick, was no pips in any other eggs.

Humidity holding 60-65%, 70% when eggs were hatching. I ran dry, lower than last hatch, 24% until lockdown. Thought air cells looked fine.

Another 24hrs later, here's the bad, eggs were good. Did a eggtopsy.
I figured they were going to be undeveloped rotten early mid or late quitters.
Nope, all fully developed dead chicks.
They didn't look shrink wrapped or drowned. Looked like they should have hatched.
Not sure when they died. I was using the flat roller turner 'IncuTurn' and they got pushed around a lot by the first chicks that hatched. IDK??
Any suggestions on where I went wrong?

Just curious, did you use the IncuTurn on the prior hatch?

I also used an IncuTurn this time, always hand turned before. Ive had 5 malpositions this hatch, 2 hatched on their own, 3 I'm still waiting on debating if i should help and 4 more have done nothing. Ive never had wrong end pips when hand turning. But theyre also shipped so not sure.

Started with 27 eggs, 6 were infertile, 1 died when we had serious incubator issues (spiked to 107* one night and bulb went out next night dropping to 60*), but when all said and done the remaining 20 hatched!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom