The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Hello from The Cottages. We had a wonderful hatch this year, So much excitement. From the 42 that made it to Lock Down 35 hatched. At one residence 19 of 21 ( 90%) hatched, and the other residence 16 of 21 (78%) hatched. And for those of you that joined our "Guess who hatched First" contest (lol) #12, #18 were the winners. So worth setting up when it brings such big smiles!
We will keep them in the brooder boxes for a week or so, We do another contest "Name That Chick" We ask residents come up with their best chicken names and then we draw from a hat the number of chicks we have to name, Great fun, some of the names are hilarious! Until next year. Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's wrong with this chick?

It hatched ojt just fine, but it has never been able to get on it's feet.

Hmmmm, looks like I need to cross OEGBs off my list....I'm thinking Cochins will be my best bet.
Barnevelders make great broodies. Also, my heritage BR was a great broody.

Does anyone know how to tell if a chick is wry Neck?
This shows a chick with wry neck and how to cure it.
http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/

TODAY I have 7 broodies!
ThereGoesBreakfast AGAIN!
(Still got 24 eggs yesterday and 30 the day before.)
ep.gif
It's early for that many broodies!

Actually, I had another functioning thermometer in my incubator at the time, but it was a C one and I wasn't watching it closely enough. So, I've learned my lesson, and put (2) F working thermometers in addition to my C thermometer, and am watching ALL of them this time.

I got more eggs, and am doing another round of hatching! This time, my thermometers are reading 99.7 and 100.3, yippee! here we go again!
Spend the money on the Brinsea Spot check thermometer. You'll never worry about temps again!

Does anyone know what's wrong with this chick?

It hatched ojt just fine, but it has never been able to get on it's feet.
How long ago did it hatch? When they first hatch, they don't stand right away. It could be spraddle leg, but I can't tell from the picture. Do you have a front view of the chick?

Last edited:
Hello from The Cottages. We had a wonderful hatch this year, So much excitement. From the 44 that made it to Lock Down 37 hatched. At one residence 19 of 21 ( 90%) hatched, and the other residence 18 of 23 (78%) hatched. And for those of you that joined our "Guess who hatched First" contest (lol) #12, #18 were the winners. So worth setting up when it brings such big smiles! We will keep them in the brooder boxes for a week or so, We do another contest "Name That Chick" We ask residents come up with their best chicken names and then we draw from a hat the number of chicks we have to name, Great fun, some of the names are hilarious! Until next year. Best Wishes!
Soooo cute!! Congrats on such a wonderful hatch!

Back
Top Bottom