The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Had a lot of infertile eggs. 29 were developing and made it to lock down. 26 hatched! One cinnamon queen/spitzhauben mix, 6 spitzhauben and 19 Easter Egger

Last edited:
Orpington and Easter Egger. Or production red and EE. Or who knows in my flock. My roosters are a yellow orpington, a barred rock cross and two EE crosses. Girls are EEs, production reds, BOs, one old lady leghorn and australorp. Plus mixes of all of these. It came from a brown speckled egg.

It's gotta be Partridge pattern, probably not chocolate then tho. If it's possible you have an EE that lays brown eggs I'd say it's probably EE x EE.

This is confusing. This information forwarded says to put temp at *98* during lockdown, but the "hatching eggs 101" states never to let your temperature get below 99.5???

I have 25 so far with number 26 almost out. One with splayed legs that has been splinted and is in a cup in the brooder. I don't know how many are left or how many are even viable at this point. This is the weirdest hatch I've ever had. I was getting ready to dump the rest of the eggs in incubator one this morning when I heard peeping. There was a wrong end pip. I helped it out and put the rest back in. Apparently they are not done yet. I need new incubators! I hate these styrofoam things!

This is confusing. This information forwarded says to put temp at *98* during lockdown, but the "hatching eggs 101" states never to let your temperature get below 99.5???
It is much safer to stay at 99.5. You may be able to get a bit better of a hatch rate by 98 at lockdown but not enough to really matter.

Using a cool down cycle does help though. Look it up!

It is much safer to stay at 99.5. You may be able to get a bit better of a hatch rate by 98 at lockdown but not enough to really matter.

Using a cool down cycle does help though. Look it up!
I love the cool down feature in the Brinsea. I just have to remember to shut it off at hatch...lol. I use the SHORTEST one, since I've gotten home late from work and been super tired and have seen the temp at 95, and I freak out for a bit before remembering - Oh yeah....cool down.....

Back
Top Bottom