The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Barnevelders make great broodies.  Also, my heritage BR was a great broody.

This shows a chick with wry neck and how to cure it.
http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/

:eek: It's early for that many broodies!

Spend the money on the Brinsea Spot check thermometer.  You'll never worry about temps again!

How long ago did it hatch?  When they first hatch, they don't stand right away.  It could be spraddle leg, but I can't tell from the picture.   Do you have a front view of the chick?

Last night around 8 pm. It is completely dry and seems to be healthy. But it just can't get on its feet and just rolls around. I will take a better picture when I get home later.

Hello from The Cottages. We had a wonderful hatch this year, So much excitement. From the 42 that made it to Lock Down 35 hatched. At one residence 19 of 21 ( 90%) hatched, and the other residence 16 of 21 (78%) hatched. And for those of you that joined our "Guess who hatched First" contest (lol) #12, #18 were the winners. So worth setting up when it brings such big smiles!

We will keep them in the brooder boxes for a week or so, We do another contest "Name That Chick" We ask residents come up with their best chicken names and then we draw from a hat the number of chicks we have to name, Great fun, some of the names are hilarious! Until next year. Best Wishes!
ya.gif
What a wonderful thing you do each year! Thanks for reporting in!

I love the cool down feature in the Brinsea. I just have to remember to shut it off at hatch...lol. I use the SHORTEST one, since I've gotten home late from work and been super tired and have seen the temp at 95, and I freak out for a bit before remembering - Oh yeah....cool down.....
Two hours a day is best for chickens. There have been some research studies. Ducks too. I think they are still researching other poultry.

Okay guys sorry I'm so far behind just wanted to give an update.

Okay so to recap
I set 36 eggs to hatch the Monday after Easter... So today!

Day 7 we pulled two very early quitters and 9 infertile eggs. Bummer.

Day 14 we pulled two more eggs quitters.

Everyone else continued into lockdown and looking good.

They started early despite temps being steady and good. Perhaps a warm spot. Our first one hatched on Saturday night. Sunday several more followed. Today we have chicks popping like popcorn!

So far we have two or three chocolate cuckoo Orpingtons out and two of our project breed. And a ton of barnyard mixes. It also looks like we have a bunch of black Cuckoo Orps as well but time will tell. 2 silkie or silkie mixes both darling.
Another update later!

15 chicks total so far. The others are still in the bator. Had to pull these to stop the soccer game. Lol

We have had two DIS so far so we'll see. The other eggs are all pipped and cheeping up a storm. :)

Congratulations everyone on your new babies! :yiipchick

Lots to catch up on here for me. I was hoping for a quieter day today with it being a holiday but no chance! The weather was half decent so I needed to make hay whilst the sun shone!

I did manage to get a couple of pics today. These Brahma are giants and are busy making a mess along with the polish.

I hope you all have had a fabulous Easter! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom