The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I was all set to tally my totals. Decided to eggtopsy a few, hit a vein on one peeled a bit of shell back and could see that it was still breathing. Apparently I have some slow pokes. Some were from my older gals so maybe they're just taking longer? I'm gonna give them a bit longer.

I have an update. The membrane was starting to get brown and look gummy on the edges, so I decided to take the egg out quick and wet the membrane. I can't see a beak anymore near the pip; it just looks like it's body pressed against the membrane. So I candled it quick, and it looks like it's body is into the air cell, but I can't find a beak. It did move around and chirp quite a bit though. Is it possible that it re-positioned itself to pip into the air cell?

If the baby is moving away from the pip, and not actually zipping, this is when I intervene and start assisting. And, if I've noticed that the baby has started to slow down on making noise..and no further progress.

@Duck Lady

I'm assuming..you know ducks!

Not sure you saw this..I had a friend bring by a few eggs. Mama disappeared, they fear it was a racoon. Anyway, one egg was clearly not doing anything, the other two were full of veins. No movement, but they had been out all day .. until he brought them later that evening. I waited until it was warm enough to see..yes! They were viable and moving around like crazy. Here are some candled photos..what time frame do you think??

1st egg upright

2nd egg sideways, can see the air cell.

2nd egg upright..and sideways..

Moving really well while taking the photos.

Last edited:
Also, need to know..what to do here? Temp is the same, if I remember. Humidity..where do you keep yours? Do you spray? What do I have the humidity at while in lock down.

Well it's up in the temp today and I finished the brooder box so I let them have a little sunshine today my easter egger hatch enjoying sunshine for the first time

@Duck Lady

I'm assuming..you know ducks!

Not sure you saw this..I had a friend bring by a few eggs. Mama disappeared, they fear it was a racoon. Anyway, one egg was clearly not doing anything, the other two were full of veins. No movement, but they had been out all day .. until he brought them later that evening. I waited until it was warm enough to see..yes! They were viable and moving around like crazy. Here are some candled photos..what time frame do you think??

1st egg upright

2nd egg sideways, can see the air cell.

2nd egg upright..and sideways..

Moving really well while taking the photos.

Also, need to know..what to do here? Temp is the same, if I remember. Humidity..where do you keep yours? Do you spray? What do I have the humidity at while in lock down.
I know you didn't tag me, but I think they look about day 10. Here's what mine are on day 10. They do seem to move the most on day 10
From day 1 to 25 I keep my humiity at about 40%, but you really have to do humidity by air cell. I spray lightly once a day from day 18 till I get a pip. My lockdown humidity is 65 to 78% about

Back
Top Bottom