The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

So... uh... who's starting the next HAL?
big_smile.png
There is an April HAL going!

Sorry for the late update. One of our hatchlings had splayed leg, but it is being corrected. Poor little thing was also having issues eating, but my wonderful wife gets up every three hours and feeds him or her. It's progression is coming along every day.
As far as a final count. We set 24 eggs 12 were not fertile. 7 made it to lock down and all 7 hatched.

Hatch total is 26 out of 60 that went into lockdown. My old styrofoam incubator went out and the rest died in various states of development. Time for a new incubator.

I have a newer styrobator going now with just blue and green eggs. It works fine. The 26 that hatched were in it. Lovely healthy chicks in the brooder.

Not too successful a hatch, but they were my own eggs so no money lost and cute fluffy butts in the living room, so silver linings and all.

@BantyChooks
BYC-EHAL TOTALS
Total Hatched: 10 Japanese Quail, 9 Welsh Harlequin Ducklings

Assisted Hatches: 2 Welsh Harlequin Ducklings

Deaths: 1 Japanese Quail, 1 Welsh Harlequin from one of the assisted hatchings mentioned above

Unhatched Eggs: More then I'd like
1f622.png

Started With: 35 Japanese Quail Eggs, 27 Welsh Harlequin Duck Eggs

Overall Experience: A LOT OF WORK!!! But it was a lot of fun and we learned a LOT! Thank You BYCers for all your help!!!
We're already planning our next hatching! :jumpy

Last edited:
Quote: How long since pip? I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner, I'm catching up now.

I have an update. The membrane was starting to get brown and look gummy on the edges, so I decided to take the egg out quick and wet the membrane. I can't see a beak anymore near the pip; it just looks like it's body pressed against the membrane. So I candled it quick, and it looks like it's body is into the air cell, but I can't find a beak. It did move around and chirp quite a bit though. Is it possible that it re-positioned itself to pip into the air cell?
If the membrane is brown, the chick is stuck and will need help getting out.

Quote: Ummm, recording the numbers is plenty of work too.
highfive.gif

I had 7 chicks hatch out of 9.

I sure hope you entered that in the Broodies and their Babies contest!

Big fat zero for me as well.. oh well
I'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom