The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

HELP URGENT!!!

I was trying to clean out the brooder this evening, and when I went to move the heat lamp, it fell into tha cage and landed on one of my silkie chicks. I believe that it broke its leg because it is not trying to hop around on 1. is there anything I can do for it?

HELP URGENT!!!

I was trying to clean out the brooder this evening, and when I went to move the heat lamp, it fell into tha cage and landed on one of my silkie chicks. I believe that it broke its leg because it is not trying to hop around on 1. is there anything I can do for it?

You can cast it. Take a soda straw and split it up one side (after cutting it to the right length). Then put it on the broken leg and take it.

Sorry, that should be "tape it" not "take it"

Last edited:
And, wait! You don't candle until lock down? Ever? Never?
th.gif
Sometimes I will candle earlier, especially on shipped eggs, or if I have a problem in incubation. It's not super intentional, most of the time I just get busy and forget.
tongue.png

How many hives do you have and what style? Langstroth or Topbar?
3 Langsroth hives, but I lost 1 hive in winter. It was robbed pretty aggressively in the fall and I thought I caught it soon enough. They killed the queen, so it died out after that.

My hubby just said, " Hey bees are poultry too! They have wings, they lay eggs and they give golden goodness, they just don't shell it out everyday!" I love my husband!
gig.gif
Yup!
lau.gif

Has a final total been given yet for the 8th Easter hatch along
No, we are still trying to get everyone's totals.

HELP URGENT!!!

First step is to figure out if it's broken and if broken, what bone.
Here is a PDF that shows different splinting techniques.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom