The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Same here. I've seen them locally much cheaper than that, but I was in the process selling nearly all my birds. Still ended up keeping 5. :D
I wish my hens would go broody. In the 6 years I've had dual purpose breeds I've only ever had one hatchery quality hen go bloody and I sold my lovely buckeye hen that hatched for me last year. I've apparently made a lot of bad choices with them lately. :lau

Yeah, nobody round here sells CCL's, I sure wish they did!

I'm sure someone will come along and answer this more thoroughly or refer you to another forum post. If you are ever in doubt I adore searching this forum for articles, posts, and pictures. ;)

I'm pretty certain duck eggs need regularly misting but I'd have to search that here. I tried duck eggs twice from local person but I have a strong suspicion they were infertile. I only hatch chicken eggs and rarely need to add water here in southern AL but I also have a separate hatcher/brooder I keep a small bowl of water in for new chicks so humidity I barely need to adjust. For my incubators I have like a squirt bottle, or a "larger water dropper" that I add water through a small hole. Only open to candle, add or remove eggs. What type of duck and quail eggs?

And on a different note. I'm excited to set some chicken eggs as well for this hatch a long! And I've got one chick about to hatch as I type. Its a cream legbar, can't wait. Newness of the breed hasn't wore off yet, haha. But I've hatched a couple of their eggs already including some auto sexing olive egger pullets!

Hmm, would this be the gal that I got the little cochin eggs from..and am just finishing up with the hatch? Here in Utah! They were way late in the mail, thought they were lost..this you? :) And, you have OE pullets? Ever sell those eggs? lol...This is Cynthia in Utah.

Hmm, would this be the gal that I got the little cochin eggs from..and am just finishing up with the hatch? Here in Utah! They were way late in the mail, thought they were lost..this you? :) And, you have OE pullets? Ever sell those eggs? lol...This is Cynthia in Utah.

Yes! Hiyas Cynthia! Hah "small" world! I am so glad you got some chickees out of those eggs. 1 day shy of a week in transit(for those of you curious). Bad usps! And yes still awake...even though the 1 month old is asleep again but for some reason I prefer night time cleaning....maybe because it "stays" that way, longer when I do it at this hour. Plus I keep peeping at my own eggs pipping.

And yes I will sell some Olive eggs eventually. My earliest "possible" OEs hatched in Nov but that was when it was more of a "mixed" flock so I can't confirm who daddy roo was in that bunch of about 6-8? Then there are about 12 or so "teenage" Marans that are "free-ranging" and always coming up to the backdoor at the crack of dawn, some crowing and all of them looking for some treats. These were for sure from the Maran hens and daddy was either the Blue Maran or the Cream Legbar.....and these are all Black, Blue, or Splash and I won't know which parent until they start laying green or brown eggs. The oldest "for sure" OE pullets from legbar hen and maran roo there is only a few of and they aren't close to laying age. More of those eggs to hatch this week as well.

I'm sure I'm getting way off title here, can I blame the late hour? But its been nice chatting and meeting everyone! Have a good night, morning, day, whichever.
caf.gif
Baby feeding time again.

The little silkie we saved from the egg died today. He was a little messed up from the start but that's okay. Time to wait for my 32 eggs to hatch with 10 silkies.

Aww, sorry, I can relate. I was hoping/crossing fingers that one of my last cochin baies would make it. I knew when I went to bed, what I would find by morning. Yes, messed up is a good word. I think he had the mush belly. It looked/felt pretty bad. :(

I did get 4 cute little cochin babies though!! Will put up photos later. I love their colors. southrnhusky says they are .. lavenders and blues. Yaay! Now, if they aren't just all boys!!

Idk what your flock consists of but we have silkies with our large fowl flock also OEGB and a golden laced sebright hen. Granted most if them were raised with silkies but usually I think flocks can adjust well to silkies.

If you do decide to give them a go they're great birds especially if handled a lot as chicks. I would consider keeping two or three together especially for introducing them to the flock as they are different and could be picked on keep and eye out for that but silkies are great and some strains of them are pretty good layers. We had one silkie that we lost to a predator last year that except for being broody once that spring had layed us an egg a day all through the winter but maybe for a week or two. She was an amazing layer if course the eggs were smaller than the large fowl but they're not terribly little once they get going.

Our silkies also do well in the heat and cold despite most people saying they're delicate. They are also our only birds that winter 2015(-40* in southern Wisconsin) didn't get frost bite. Even our rose combed breeds like our SLW roo got a little frost bite that winter.

Hope this helps.
Wonderful another person who plans to do coturnix! What varieties/colors do you plan to do?

We are in the middle of our first ever quail hatch after we were given chicks in December from a BYC friend. I did lots of research before hand but am always liking to double check all my info.

Any helpful pointers on raising or hatching coturnix?

Whoopsie whoopsie whoopsie. I went back and fixed the above post. Stupid autocorrect. "Mother was supposed to be another" as in Yay! Another person hatching quail.

"Wonderful mother person who plans to do coturnix! What varieties/colors do you plan to do?"
I have a silver wild one and two brown wild ones, we have only done them last year and lost most of the flock to quails disease i believe :( except three males so I will be incubating eggs from the farm down the road to get some ladies for them!

"We are in the middle of our first ever quail hatch after we were given chicks in December from a BYC friend. I did lots of research before hand but am always liking to double check all my info.

Any helpful pointers on raising or hatching coturnix?
"

We were so lucky in having a bantam hen go broody right as i got the eggs, so we put them under her. We were told she would kill them when they hatched and to remove her but she took are of them until they were 8 weeks old and ignoring her! All 12 hatched but we lost 4 the first night, they're incredibly daft and had stranded themselves behind the nest box and died of cold :( they are so so so much tinier than we expected so make sure there isnt any places they can get stuck! Theyre like the size of bumblebees when they are born. Waterer had to be super shallow, we ended up using a rabbit waterer to keep them dry. I also highly highly recommend giving each male his own space and girls, they will fight to the bloody death over women. I was surprised how vicious and rapey they were to be honest they make the sweetest sound though <3 good luck![/quote]

What is quail's disease? I've never heard of it. Yes we discovered that they are quite aggressive and rapey too. We ended up with 5 males and 1 female and they all ended up quite the mess with the males raping each other and scalping everyone they grab the back of the heads bso hard it bugs me.

We are also hatching for more females boys will go to freezer camp. We have 8 eggs in that have about a week left and added ten more eggs last night. I would love to see pics of your silver if you dotn mind sharing?

We are thinking of buying some quail hatching eggs from a quail specific farm and getting a few new varieties for new blood. Mostly Jumbos but I can't help but love the beautiful colors.

It looks like a bantam of some breed doesn't it?   Cute.  :)

Yeah definitely a bantam or a massive spoon. I know it's not your pic I was just wondering of you knew. With the size I am thinking maybe OEGB or something along those lines. Perhaps a serama?

Can't sleep.  Sick tummy.  Haven't had the stomach flu in years!  What?   Hope this is gone by morning.  

Oh goodness. I saw your updates I hope you're all better now. I got the flu the week of Valentine's day talk about ruining plans. I was also sick for 5-6 days. Ick.

[quote name="orrpeople" url="/t/1151482/the-8th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/600#post_18087634"]
Idk what your flock consists of but we have silkies with our large fowl flock also OEGB and a golden laced sebright hen. Granted most if them were raised with silkies but usually I think flocks can adjust well to silkies.

If you do decide to give them a go they're great birds especially if handled a lot as chicks. I would consider keeping two or three together especially for introducing them to the flock as they are different and could be picked on keep and eye out for that but silkies are great and some strains of them are pretty good layers. We had one silkie that we lost to a predator last year that except for being broody once that spring had layed us an egg a day all through the winter but maybe for a week or two. She was an amazing layer if course the eggs were smaller than the large fowl but they're not terribly little once they get going.

Our silkies also do well in the heat and cold despite most people saying they're delicate. They are also our only birds that winter 2015(-40* in southern Wisconsin) didn't get frost bite. Even our rose combed breeds like our SLW roo got a little frost bite that winter.

Hope this helps.

Yes! Any input is greatly appreciated! Right now I am thinking they will probably have to be "non free range" because of our hawk issues. I have also heard they are very difficult to sex until they're much older. Thoughts on this, since I'm a certified genius at hatching mostly cockerels!!
1f60b.png

Yes tractors work very very well if you want to take that route like Daethan. We personally let them free range. We have lost some to foxes but haven't lost any to hawks that we know of. We also have large fowl roosters though too and they of course are great at sounding the alarm. We have actually lost several roos to predators protecting the girls.
I have thought about tractoring our silkies or our favorite birds in general to protect them but I don't think they would be truly happy now that they've free ranged. Our silkies are actually great foragers and some of our best. Yes even better than some of the lf. If you have a hawk problem but want to free range be sure you have lots of cover bushes and trees you can even build a free standing lean to for them to run under.
We had a couple hawks show up last year but I don't think they ever got anything. Still it scared me half to death. We have several buildings they run to or under the truck, lilac bushes, hydrangeas, porch and of course the coop. Silkies are pretty fast faster than people for sure and when they hear a possible predator call they run for cover so fast they almost look like they're floating or rolling. Like little fuzzy tumbleweeds blowing across the yard. Lol

They can be hard to sex, some more than others. Also some have larger crests than others, if you're thinking about wanting smaller crests. It is true that their crests can restrict their vision and make them more prone to predators. We like medium crests although we have some of each.

Usually about 12 weeks you can sex them but sometimes not until they lay or crow.

If you want them to free range but are worried about them tractoring them is a good option. You could the free range them when you are there to supervise them.

HTH

I set 14 eggs from my blue ameraucanas and 8 from my blue Am cockerel over my SLWs yesterday. Gonna candle tonight because last time I was able to spot several of the fertile ones on day one and wanted to see if I was as successful this time around. Fingers crossed for lots of babies! These will be the first Ameraucana babies I've hatched this year...I'm very excited. Can't wait till my blue wheaten girls start laying, too, so I'll have even more! I'm totally addicted to hatching!!!

I would love to see pics of you blue Ameraucanas' eggs if you don't mind sharing? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom