The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Some wiggles are coming from Emu Egg C
celebrate.gif

I'm sure there are people who put it in room with light. They do do hatches in classrooms after all. I personally though would find a cubby and put it there, not because of the light but because a small space will hold heat better.

I also have mine in a room with a big window. Not direct light, but it's light in there. All is good.

Ameraucanas... but they're not separated into their breeding pens yet, so is a mix of black, black splits, self blue and white...

Last edited:
Anyone hatching quail eggs this spring???

Had five cots hatch yesterday.

Awwh! I love cots, one of my favorite types of poultry. :love

We will almost certainly be hatching some coturnix quail if we get the coolerbator out. Otherwise we may just stick with the chicken eggs. I don't want to do large fowl and coturnix eggs at the same time the size is too different.

Now I've heard some people say that you can't/shouldn't do quail and chickens or ducks together. Is this true?

We have our first quail eggs in the bator right now due in 12-13 days. I'm dieing for them to hatch although I think it's actually 11-12 days BC I think my bator didn't change the counter for the first day or two. Oddly. Never had a problem with it changing before. It's changing now though so okay.

Anyway we have our first coturnix quail eggs ever in the bator right now. Back in December I got some chicks from a BYC friend and unfortunately after a few escaped the brooder and were killed we ended up with only one female and 5 males. The boys are headed for freezer camp two are already done the others just need to be. We are of course trying to add more females.

This is a test run to see how they do. We will then probably be ordering some quail hatching eggs to add new blood, size, and color.

We also have some bantam eggs in the bator with this test run of quail because we lost our OEGB roo. It's a hail Mary try at getting some more of his incredible offspring. They will be two-three more days than the quail.

So far all the quail eggs seem fertile and developing the chicken eggs a few are not developing. I didn't expect the chicken eggs all too as some of them are older and one was in the fridge. I am also not sure how many if any will be pure OEGB as some of our silkie eggs are indistinguishable from the OEGB.

Finger crossed though and can't wait to be in the Easter hatchalong again this year! :)

Some wiggles are coming from Emu Egg C :celebrate

Whoa wait a minute what did I miss I didn't see anywhere about any emu eggs!!! Omg I loved seeing them last year!!!

Ameraucanas... but they're not separated into their breed8ng pens yet, so is a mix of black, black splits, self blue and white...

Absolutely drooling!!! Would love to see egg pics and bird pics if you have any? I really want to add some good blue egg laying Ameraucanas sometime just a couple.

How's their temperaments?

I'd like to try a blue out on my project breed. Love love love anything self blue too! Lol ahhhhh!!!! Too many chickens not enough space. Lol

Back
Top Bottom