The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Question!!!!!! If I breed my brown red barred naked neck rooster to my barred cream  crested legbar crosses/cuckoo marans hens    What are the odds of getting barred pullets that lay green eggs.   All the hens lay a pretty green egg.  I am thinking 50/50?

It depends on how the egg color genetics of the hens were fixed. Most likely 50% of pullets will be barred, 12.5 % will lay brown eggs, 12.5 % will lay blue eggs 25% will lay green, and the othe 50% depends on what color egg the rooster came from. So around 1 in every 16 birds hatched will be a barred pullet that lays green eggs.

BoBo wants to join he says one egg lol

I can't add anything to the above advice as far as preparing...but I can add that even all fails and your incubator gets cold for a period of time....don't throw the eggs out if the embryos aren't moving.

I had broodies that made an oops and one got on the wrong nest when I was away. I estimate that the nest was left unattended for about 11 hours and it was 9C in the coop by the time I got home and checked on them. There was no movement in the eggs. After approx. 2 hours after setting the hen on the correct nest...they had warmed up and there was movement in the eggs. Those eggs hatched into chicks. Amazing stuff!  The embryos are considerably more resilient than we give them credit.

I had duck eggs drop to 52F overnight the day before lockdown, I ended up hatching 18 out of 20, I can honestly say it was my best hatch yet. :gig there's a guy on another thread who forgot eggs on top of his hatcher at 70F for 20 hours and all of those hatched. They are indeed a lot tougher than we think.

Last edited:
Well finally The 12 eggs (wheaten/ blue wheaten amerucana eggs are hatching. 3 have hatched. Hopefully more in the morning. They are days late its day 23 But that room got awfully cold this month at night. for California 31 to 33 degrees. If 1/2 hatch I'll be happy.
Hatching in a 5 or 6 year old Brinsea 24 eco. In my opinion it has been a great little bator it has hatch 100s of chicks......
I know someone said there wheat amerucanas didn't hatch. These birds have been unfertile a lot. I have replaced rooster, fed special feed. Which I am going to do again this years.
Most the other chicken hatch pretty good.
The marans and olive eggers sometimes cannot get out of shell..
My daughter wants more olive eggs. that are dark goldist olive green . I usually raise them to teenagers she comes and gets them.
the legbars hatch very good
happy hatching

Back
Top Bottom