The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Hi. I need some help. Long story short, I have a slightly staggered hatch, and I was waiting until I saw an internal pip on the older eggs to start lock down. I did raise the humidity last night, since it looked like a few might internally pip. Well, this morning, the humidity was down to 35%. and I had no internal pips yet. But I did have one malpositioned pip. It's in the middle of the egg. I can see membrane, and it looks a little brown. I got the humidity up. It also doesn't look like it got through the membrane. The pip was turned facing the floor of the incubator. At 7:00 PM tonight day 20 will start. Should I make a little hole in the membrane? I'm afraid it can't breathe. Also, do you think it's going to be shrinkwrapped now? I will get pictures in a little bit. Thanks. Oh, it's also my first time with a malpositioned pip. This is only my fourth time hatching in an incubator. They are silkie eggs, if that means anything.

Hi.  I need some help.  Long story short, I have a slightly staggered hatch, and I was waiting until I saw an internal pip on the older eggs to start lock down.  I did raise the humidity last night, since it looked like a few might internally pip.  Well, this morning, the humidity was down to 35%. and I had no internal pips yet.  But I did have one malpositioned pip.  It's in the middle of the egg.  I can see membrane, and it looks a little brown.  I got the humidity up.  It also doesn't look like it got through the membrane.  The pip was turned facing the floor of the incubator.  At 7:00 PM tonight day 20 will start.  Should I make a little hole in the membrane?  I'm afraid it can't breathe.  Also, do you think it's going to be shrinkwrapped now? I will get pictures in a little bit.  Thanks.  Oh, it's also my first time with a malpositioned pip.  This is only my fourth time hatching in an incubator.  They are silkie eggs, if that means anything.  

As it is just day 20 I would be inclined to just let the eggs be (no opening the bator at all for 48 hours) or chicks will shrink wrap.

I would sure like to know why I had to help 4 and why the 8 full term chicks died in their shells.
The humidity (55-65%) & temperature (99.8-100.2) were within range as far as I know. However, by the last day, the unit had an unpleasant odor.
The 4 which I helped had pipped large holes, but seemed to have the membrane trying to stick to them.
If you have a bunch that hatch at once, and the humidity spikes too high, then falls back down, you can get stuck chicks.

Quote: There is a dropper in the Poly-vi-sol baby vitamins. Just put a drop on the edge of it's beak and it will roll in.

Hi. I need some help. Long story short, I have a slightly staggered hatch, and I was waiting until I saw an internal pip on the older eggs to start lock down. I did raise the humidity last night, since it looked like a few might internally pip. Well, this morning, the humidity was down to 35%. and I had no internal pips yet. But I did have one malpositioned pip. It's in the middle of the egg. I can see membrane, and it looks a little brown. I got the humidity up. It also doesn't look like it got through the membrane. The pip was turned facing the floor of the incubator. At 7:00 PM tonight day 20 will start. Should I make a little hole in the membrane? I'm afraid it can't breathe. Also, do you think it's going to be shrinkwrapped now? I will get pictures in a little bit. Thanks. Oh, it's also my first time with a malpositioned pip. This is only my fourth time hatching in an incubator. They are silkie eggs, if that means anything.
If the membrane is brown, it's likely stuck. Picture?

I got some pictures. It was kind of hard to get good ones. The membrane is a bit more tan in person, but it looks better than it did before. Maybe it was the lighting or something. I think it made a little hole in the membrane. So I think it can breathe. I don't know if u can see it on the pictures or not. I don't hear any peeping, but I do see a little movement every once in a while.

I could get better pictures if I took the egg out of the incubator but I don't think I should do that.

I got some pictures. It was kind of hard to get good ones. The membrane is a bit more tan in person, but it looks better than it did before. Maybe it was the lighting or something. I think it made a little hole in the membrane. So I think it can breathe. I don't know if u can see it on the pictures or not. I don't hear any peeping, but I do see a little movement every once in a while.

I could get better pictures if I took the egg out of the incubator but I don't think I should do that.
Get humidity to 65%. If it is too low, it is fine to add water even with pips. It is better to have humidity up than the short term drop from opening the lid.

I have had orpingtons that would pip and the sit for a day and then slowly zip. They were very lazy hatchers. EEs often jump out of the shell without warning. There is a normal for hatching and then there is the real world....

Happy hatching!

If you have a bunch that hatch at once, and the humidity spikes too high, then falls back down, you can get stuck chicks.

There is a dropper in the Poly-vi-sol baby vitamins.  Just put a drop on the edge of it's beak and it will roll in.

If the membrane is brown, it's likely stuck.  Picture?

Will do. I put it in with the other chicks last night, and seemed to do fine so I left I over night. Went back this morning and it was walking around with the other like nothing was ever wrong.

I pulled the last of my shipped eggs to see what went wrong. I had mostly yokers or very early quitters. I had 3 that were fully developed but didn't make it out. Only one pipped but was malpositioned and the pip disappeared. I couldn't even find a hair line Crack. Had I not had a picture of the pip I would have that I was seeing things. The other 2 never pipped and seemed to have a lot of fluid When I opened them. At first I had the humidity between 55-65 but after reading everything on here I lowered it to the 40s until lock down. Was the fluid due to the humidity? Any suggestions for my next hatch? I appreciate all of the advice on here. I am happy that I have 2 healthy baby chicks.

It looks fine, I would leave it. Orpingtons are lazy hatchers from the one's I have hatched.

Quote: Glad it is doing well!

I pulled the last of my shipped eggs to see what went wrong. I had mostly yokers or very early quitters. I had 3 that were fully developed but didn't make it out. Only one pipped but was malpositioned and the pip disappeared. I couldn't even find a hair line Crack. Had I not had a picture of the pip I would have that I was seeing things. The other 2 never pipped and seemed to have a lot of fluid When I opened them. At first I had the humidity between 55-65 but after reading everything on here I lowered it to the 40s until lock down. Was the fluid due to the humidity? Any suggestions for my next hatch? I appreciate all of the advice on here. I am happy that I have 2 healthy baby chicks.
Sounds like they drowned from humidity being too high? Did you calibrate your hygrometer?

I haven't given up on mine quite yet, as I had another one hatch last night (a cute Polish chick, I think). My incubator must've been running cold; they all started hatching 1 day late. How long should I give the rest?

Back
Top Bottom