The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I lost one of my babies I put outside to gnats. I put out vinegar hoping it chases them away. I lost a whole hatch once to gnats one year. We've had alot of rain and all that poop n wasted feed seems to draw those tiny murderers.

I noticed today that little Donald Trump's left wing (ha ha! I guess it would make more sense if it was his RIGHT wing!) sticks out at an odd angle. It does seem to cause him any pain, but it's very pronounced. I just gave him good look over and there is a bump in the crook of his wing on the underside that seems to be causing the problem. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

I noticed today that little Donald Trump's left wing (ha ha! I guess it would make more sense if it was his RIGHT wing!) sticks out at an odd angle. It does seem to cause him any pain, but it's very pronounced. I just gave him good look over and there is a bump in the crook of his wing on the underside that seems to be causing the problem. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

I wouldn't worry about it, it may straighten it's self out with more use or your baby could end up being different, I have a rooster that has crooked legs and it walks/runs around just fine, one points north and south and one leg points east and west, I should take a pic of it.

How long since pip? I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner, I'm catching up now.

If the membrane is brown, the chick is stuck and will need help getting out.
I had two chicks that ended up being malpositioned; the one I posted questions about, and then another one later. Both hatched out on their own and are doing good. I didn't need to help at all(except for wetting exposed membrane once in a while, but I think they would have been fine without me doing that). I have four hatched so far, and two eggs pipped out of 7. The last one is a few days behind the others, so I don't expect anything from him for a few days yet. I started with 11 eggs, two weren't fertile and two quit. So hopefully the other three make it out ok. Both pips I have right now are correctly positioned. It's day 21 by the way. And sadly I didn't get these eggs until march 28th, so I don't count for the HAL.

Quote:
Glad it worked out.

I had some eggs shipped a week later that I set as well. Pure Ameraucanas and Sapphires (Cream Legbar/leghorn cross). I didn't have a chance to lock them down on Tuesday, and they weren't supposed to hatch until Friday. I was getting ready to lock them down yesterday afternoon, when I heard a cheep. Humidity was at 30%. I go over and look, and the chick is zipping! There were 2 other pips. I waited until the first chick hatched, then locked them down and increased humidity. 4 chicks are out now, and 1 pip in a Sapphire egg.

Glad it worked out.

I had some eggs shipped a week later that I set as well. Pure Ameraucanas and Sapphires (Cream Legbar/leghorn cross). I didn't have a chance to lock them down on Tuesday, and they weren't supposed to hatch until Friday. I was getting ready to lock them down yesterday afternoon, when I heard a cheep. Humidity was at 30%. I go over and look, and the chick is zipping! There were 2 other pips. I waited until the first chick hatched, then locked them down and increased humidity. 4 chicks are out now, and 1 pip in a Sapphire egg.
It's funny how we obsess over the humidity and turning and locking down and we have horrible results sometimes when we seem to have done everything right, yet you will have a chick hatch in 30% humidity with no trouble. I do staggered hatches, and I have mistakenly mixed up a few of the eggs, and locked one or two I shouldn't and left behind the ones I should. I have had those chick hatch in the dry incubator, with the egg turner going. Yet, ones I put in the lock down 'bator, with the correct humidity - I shrink wrap....

Quote:
Maybe we just need to "try" less and everything will work out.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom