The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

It's funny how we obsess over the humidity and turning and locking down and we have horrible results sometimes when we seem to have done everything right, yet you will have a chick hatch in 30% humidity with no trouble.  I do staggered hatches, and I have mistakenly mixed up a few of the eggs, and locked one or two I shouldn't and left behind the ones I should.  I have had those chick hatch in the dry incubator, with the egg turner going.  Yet, ones I put in the lock down 'bator, with the correct humidity - I shrink wrap....

Yes I'm wondering this as well! The first hatch we did we did dry until hatch day! And they hatched fine but with the others when I try and have the humidity right we loose chicks in lock down and to shrink wrap.
1f62d.png

I might have spoke too soon about everyone doing good. I have one chick that doesn't seem to be able to open it's eyes. It was the second malpositioned one. It has a very vaulted skull, and one eye looks slightly too big. At first I thought it was just sleepy and stuff, but it hasn't opened it's eyes at all, and it has been hatched for about 6 to 7 hours. It lifts up it's head and chirps all the time, but it never opens it's eyes. It walks around like it's blind. I haven't taken it out of the incubator yet, but I will be soon. Any ideas as to what's wrong or how to fix it? I will try to get a picture soon.

Also, chick number 5 has hatched. Only about 10 minutes ago.

Glad it worked out.

I had some eggs shipped a week later that I set as well. Pure Ameraucanas and Sapphires (Cream Legbar/leghorn cross). I didn't have a chance to lock them down on Tuesday, and they weren't supposed to hatch until Friday. I was getting ready to lock them down yesterday afternoon, when I heard a cheep. Humidity was at 30%. I go over and look, and the chick is zipping! There were 2 other pips. I waited until the first chick hatched, then locked them down and increased humidity. 4 chicks are out now, and 1 pip in a Sapphire egg.

This may be what I'll have to do with the duck eggs that were brought to me and no one knows for sure how far along they are. Wait, until I hear chirping! Or quacking..or, whatever it is those cute little things do! lol

I might have spoke too soon about everyone doing good.  I have one chick that doesn't seem to be able to open it's eyes. It was the second malpositioned one.  It has a very vaulted skull, and one eye looks slightly too big.  At first I thought it was just sleepy and stuff, but it hasn't opened it's eyes at all, and it has been hatched for about 6 to 7 hours.  It lifts up it's head and chirps all the time, but it never opens it's eyes.  It walks around like it's blind.  I haven't taken it out of the incubator yet, but I will be soon.  Any ideas as to what's wrong or how to fix it?  I will try to get a picture soon. 

Also, chick number 5 has hatched.  Only about 10 minutes ago.  

I got pictures.

I tried to get good pictures but it was kind of hard with Casper still in the incubator.

Maybe we just need to "try" less and everything will work out.
lau.gif
That's what I've been trying - I get shipped eggs, I let them sit for 24 hours, then I put them in the incubator. I don't candle them until lock down, and even then, I'm just checking for where the dip is, in the air cell - and to check for viability. I've had MUCH better hatch rates by ignoring them as much as possible.

But I forgot to say Congrats on the ones you hatched!! I can't wait to see photos!!!

Glad it worked out.

I had some eggs shipped a week later that I set as well.  Pure Ameraucanas and Sapphires (Cream Legbar/leghorn cross).  I didn't have a chance to lock them down on Tuesday, and they weren't supposed to hatch until Friday.  I was getting ready to lock them down yesterday afternoon, when I heard a cheep.  Humidity was at 30%.  I go over and look, and the chick is zipping!  There were 2 other pips.  I waited until the first chick hatched, then locked them down and increased humidity.  4 chicks are out now, and 1 pip in a Sapphire egg.

This may be what I'll have to do with the duck eggs that were brought to me and no one knows for sure how far along they are.  Wait, until I hear chirping!  Or quacking..or, whatever it is those cute little things do!  lol

That's what I do, I wait until I see internal or external pips, then increase humidity. Good luck on your eggs!

Back
Top Bottom