The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Three more hatch on their own and 1 I had to help because it got stuck mid zip. That raises my total to 6 chicks. I have three more egg that I am unsure about but I will give them a few more days. Before I discard them. Otherwise I am happy with my hatch. The chicks are 2 sebright mixes, 2 bantam brahma mixes and 2 easter egger mixes. I suspect that the father of one of the sebright mixes is our suspected serama rooster because the chick is tiny and it is the same chick I had to help hatch and it hatched on easter so I got and easter chick.

Three more hatch on their own and 1 I had to help because it got stuck mid zip. That raises my total to 6 chicks. I have three more egg that I am unsure about but I will give them a few more days. Before I discard them. Otherwise I am happy with my hatch. The chicks are 2 sebright mixes, 2 bantam brahma mixes and 2 easter egger mixes. I suspect that the father of one of the sebright mixes is our suspected serama rooster because the chick is tiny and it is the same chick I had to help hatch and it hatched on easter so I got and easter chick.
Nice Job!

Open the eggs before tossing them

The thing with dry incubation is you don't have to worry as much about the chicks drowning, probably more of a concern for shrink wrapping if the humidity isn't high enough at lockdown. I only do dry incubation sometimes my humidity will drop very low. But average 20-40% and then i try to up it to 65 but usually it gets moch higher. Sometimes around 75. With this hatch it got up to 80 and i had to do some adjusting with paper towels inside. Then of cpurse when they begin hatching humidity goes WAY UP so just watch that they are drying out well after hatch...
I tried the dry incubation this time because it is suggested for incubating at high altitude. I've had a real problem with drowning chicks in the past. This time, humidity was between 28 and 30% during incubation and 60% at lockdown. I also kept track of the weight loss for each egg and knew before going into lockdown that they had lost enough weight.

From what I can tell (from weight loss and inspection) all the quiters quit around or before day 14. Not sure what that means or if I caused it. Even egg #8 that went into lockdown seemed to have quit long before then but I didn't notice till I opened it up. Hindsight I should have guessed because it lost very little weight between day 14 and 18 and the shadow did not fill the whole egg. Some eggs were collected on very cold days so they may have been the ones that quit. I decided to mark eggs that are collected on really cold or really hot days from now on to see if that is a factor.

I will track temperature, humidity, and weight loss from now on. I hope to find what works best for me in my area.

Hatchability analyzer says:

upload_2018-4-3_11-38-10.png

Most of a. can be part of high altitude incubation.

Often though if a bunch died at the same time it is a temperature spike

Hatchability analyzer says:

View attachment 1322991

Most of a. can be part of high altitude incubation.

Often though if a bunch died at the same time it is a temperature spike
Thanks for this. It's very helpful. It was not all at the same time as some were more developed than others before quitting but I wouldn't rule out a couple going at the same time. I will review my temperature and humidity records to see if I can pinpoint something.

Thanks for this. It's very helpful. It was not all at the same time as some were more developed than others before quitting but I wouldn't rule out a couple going at the same time. I will review my temperature and humidity records to see if I can pinpoint something.
I hope it helps for the next hatch!

Back
Top Bottom