The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Pics
Are they really good weeders? I know you can't just turn them loose out in the newly grown garden stuff, but I have read where once the garden is established, they really are good about eating the weeds out of everything and not messing with the garden. . . .is this true? I would LOVE to have a pair, because i just love the looks of them, and wonder if they really would help me in that area?

not true
sad.png
. theyll eat whatever tastes good to them. If they encounter something they dont like, they'll usually avoid it in the future. But sometimes, theyll walk by a plant and rip off a leaf just for te heck of it. My geese prefer to eat grass and a few weeds here and there.

But it IS possible to have geese with your garden - the # of geese you get and the size of your garden are important factors too.

Check this thread for some tips: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/744740/how-to-keep-geese-out-of-patio-flowers

Hey Guys,
I'm the IWBA leader in getting the Buff African recongized by the APA. I am wondering who breeds them. Also, if your a 5 year breeder would you mind filling out a breeder affidavit for them? Also, if you can could you mark it on your calander the 2014 (we hope) qualifing meet.
Thank you guys,
Ari Katz
Katz's Blue Moon Farm
www.facebook.com/KatzsBlueMoonFarm
smile.png

Hey Guys,
I'm the IWBA leader in getting the Buff African recongized by the APA. I am wondering who breeds them. Also, if your a 5 year breeder would you mind filling out a breeder affidavit for them? Also, if you can could you mark it on your calander the 2014 (we hope) qualifing meet.
Thank you guys,
Ari Katz
Katz's Blue Moon Farm
www.facebook.com/KatzsBlueMoonFarm
smile.png
Oh how exciting is this???!!

Do geese lay like ducks? Out in the open. My ducks lay there eggs all around my pound.. but I cant seem to find any goose eggs... if I even have females? :rolleyes:

Do geese lay like ducks? Out in the open. My ducks lay there eggs all around my pound.. but I cant seem to find any goose eggs... if I even have females?
roll.png

My goose has only layed twice (she'll be a year old in April) & both times not out in the open -the first time she layed was under some bushes, this second time, she's laying in a corner of their coop. Geese DO bury/ hide their eggs. Mine covers them up with pieces of grass.

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and have spent hours reading on this site and just love it! I am a fanatic lover of my ducks and geese! I have 10 ducks and 4 geese. Two of my geese are wee babies, almost 2 weeks old! Africans..... This is most likely a very redundant question, I'm going to ask it anyway.....
At what age will their knobs begin to emerge and one of the goslings is much more yellow then the other, is this an indicator of sex? I'm praying they are both female or just one male, as I have two yearling saddle backs, one female for sure, a LIL undecided yet on the 2nd......I didn't realize how bad mating season can be with more than one gander until I started reading on BYC.......now I'm scared to death now to find out I've got two ganders!!!
If the way they act is any indicator, one is very quick to come running up to me and wants to be held, the other is slower to come to me, a LIL more a luff, stand-offish......then will come up out of shear competition!
Thank you so much to anyone willing to share info!

Back
Top Bottom