1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The age old question of Hen or Roo! - Thank you in advance

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LouNeo, Jul 13, 2016.

1. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    This one is about 4 months old. I believe it is an Araucana but im still confused on the Araucana/Americana/EE deal. Anyhow we need to cull our flock a bit and if this is a Roo he is going to be lucky enough to be rehomed where there are less neighbors.

Thoughts? It hasnt been handled too much recently so it was a bit of a handful to photograph with 1 hand :) Others of the same age that we have, have a more pronounced comb already at the same age. Also why are you thinking 1 or the other (I have a couple others I need to educated guess at).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Looks like a hen to me :)

3. LouNeo

LouNeo Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    Im reading through some other posts now as well to try and find more info about them. I was leaning more towards hen, I was just hoping to figure out more on how to tell with these guys. Im doing some more searching now :) Thank you!

4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    You're welcome. Cockerels' combs redden at 3-8 weeks and hens' combs redden a little while before they lay, I believe. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by