The air cell is on the pointy end and is oddly shaped...

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I was originally going to start this thread yesterday, to ask what to expect from the air cell being on the pointy end and maybe being oddly shaped. I held off on asking because I didn't see movement on the candling yesterday, and I suspected she was dead. But the little guy decided to pip about an hour ago, two days early... on the round end where the air cell SHOULD be. 😬 My suspicions were wrong, she isn't dead, haha! 🥳

So now I'm concerned... since she is hatching out on the right end but the air cell isn't there, does she have a good chance of making it? Will she bleed to death by hitting a vessel? What should I expect? Also, I sealed the crack in the egg with nail polish and I didn't shake the egg or anything, so how did the air cell end up on the cracked pointy end? And how does it end up saddled shaped? This egg is the first egg my GLW laid after an over-a-month-and-a-half-long break, so was it made wrong when my hen laid it since she was JUST starting to lay again? Here are the photos I took of candling before the pip.

169563291_881335049117255_755277311131327399_n.jpg

Here is how I'm holding the egg in the photo above since the air cell is in such an odd place:

171206760_910972546138061_5608194177003910145_n.jpg

A glitch in the app saved the partial response above and won't let me edit it.😕 There's a specific section in that assisted hatching guide that addresses your scenario.

With regard to the air cell being oddly-shaped and in the narrow end of the egg, I agree that it just seems like something unusual occurred during the formation process. Hopefully, she'll work out the kinks and you won't see another.

Best of luck with your hatch!

A glitch in the app saved the partial response above and won't let me edit it.😕 There's a specific section in that assisted hatching guide that addresses your scenario.

With regard to the air cell being oddly-shaped and in the narrow end of the egg, I agree that it just seems like something unusual occurred during the formation process. Hopefully, she'll work out the kinks and you won't see another.

Best of luck with your hatch!
Ah, okay. The egg I put in right after this, from the same chicken, looks normal so hoping the others won't have any problems. :)

Soooo.... she decided to pip a second time in a different place...?

IMG_7748.JPG

I took a shower so the humidity would be up and took the egg out to see how she was doing. She gave me some sass through that shell. 😆 Here is what she looks like right now. I've never seen a chick pip twice like this. I'm hesitant to go into the air cell because I put her into the incubator late on the 22nd, maybe even after midnight which means she went in on the 23rd, so she probably isn't ready yet. I didn't expect her for another couple of days. 😳

When candling, I saw that a lot of the air cell was gone, so I'm wondering if she pipped and then turned around into the air cell? Or could she have broken into it without her beak? I didn't take a photo of that, couldn't see much and I wanted to get her into the incubator again as soon as possible.

Soooo.... she decided to pip a second time in a different place...?

View attachment 2609855

I took a shower so the humidity would be up and took the egg out to see how she was doing. She gave me some sass through that shell. 😆 Here is what she looks like right now. I've never seen a chick pip twice like this. I'm hesitant to go into the air cell because I put her into the incubator late on the 22nd, maybe even after midnight which means she went in on the 23rd, so she probably isn't ready yet. I didn't expect her for another couple of days. 😳

When candling, I saw that a lot of the air cell was gone, so I'm wondering if she pipped and then turned around into the air cell? Or could she have broken into it without her beak? I didn't take a photo of that, couldn't see much and I wanted to get her into the incubator again as soon as possible.
She probably realized she was backwards in the egg and turned to face the 'right' way where the air cell would normally be. As long as she's pipped and getting air I wouldn't worry. I would candle and just make sure her beak is facing the hole so she's actually getting air and not just smushed facing away from it.

She probably realized she was backwards in the egg and turned to face the 'right' way where the air cell would normally be. As long as she's pipped and getting air I wouldn't worry. I would candle and just make sure her beak is facing the hole so she's actually getting air and not just smushed facing away from it.
When I went to candle, she had gone back to the original pip (saw her beak pecking away some shell, so she was getting air).

She looked like she might attempt to zip, so I left her alone to go for it.

IMG_7755.JPG

She made it out on her own! Thanks, both of you! :love

Back
Top Bottom