The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
Oh man! Sorry you lost such a beautiful hen.

There were storms in the area yesterday so we put the Alohas in their breeder pens inside the unfinished part of our shop. I was so glad we did because the empty breeder pen (those birds were in the coop) that was out in the yard was blown into the electric fence and broke out the flooring. We had 70 mph winds. Sheesh.

Oh man! Sorry you lost such a beautiful hen.

There were storms in the area yesterday so we put the Alohas in their breeder pens inside the unfinished part of our shop. I was so glad we did because the empty breeder pen (those birds were in the coop) that was out in the yard was blown into the electric fence and broke out the flooring. We had 70 mph winds. Sheesh.
YIKES! That's scary! 70 mph??? Wow . . . .

I went and checked on what is left in the baby pen . . . . looks like two Ginger-hens, no improvement on size or type, pink legs, but great color. I can use them to replace a couple of the older Aloha hens in the coop, but they are not a step forward. Still, beautiful and colorful Ginger-hens are always good! They may be small, but boy are they FLASHY.

And a few other decent hens, and a couple of roosters. So about 8 babies will be retained for the program, All the others will be culled from that batch soon.

So far, I have raised six nice "keeper" hens for next fall, plus two pure Buff Orp hens. I still haven't culled any of last season's hens. Derek says he's raised about 250 Aloha chicks, so we'll see what he has growing out! I'll take TONS of photos for everyone when Stephen and I go visit Derek soon.

Stephen is also growing out about 60 Aloha chicks as well.

OH - and new HALF SWEDISH HALF ALOHA chicks are due in the next two days! Whoo-hooo! Exciting!

Great news Aloha Breeders! I have found a way to accurately know which of your breeding pairs will work. If you can remember back to 7th grade Biology and Genetics, and remember Punnet Squares, you can too! ( If you fell asleep, or if you just don't remember, use this link to refresh your memory Punnett Squares Easy Genetics - BackYard Chickens Community ) This site shows you all of the Dominant and Recessive genes for all of your Chicken Needs. This allows for things such as: Feather Color, MOTTLING, LEG COLOR, COMB TYPE, CRESTED OR NON-CRESTED, and all other genes related to this project. Hope this can speed along and make everyones' breeding much easier. Chicken Genetics

Swedish Flower x Aloha chicks are hatching today! About a dozen so far.

And, because my boyfriend chose to NOT collect eggs during my entire recovery, there are many more chicks to come. When I returned every single nest was filled with eggs with a broody hen on top!

So I candled all the eggs, and an additional 24 eggs were fertile. Unfortunately, I don't know what day the babies will hatch out. Only that it will be sometime in the next 10 days, because that's about how long I was at my mom's after the surgery. So there will be a trickle of baby chicks from here on until June 14th!

The chicks right now, some look a bit darker than the Alohas, and more like photos I've seen of baby Swedes. Others look like pure Alohas, there are some "blonde chipmunkers" and regular chipmunk-chicks too. Likewise, size is all over the place, from tiny Bantam-size to what looks like promisingly large!

Swedish Flower x Aloha chicks are hatching today! About a dozen so far.

And, because my boyfriend chose to NOT collect eggs during my entire recovery, there are many more chicks to come. When I returned every single nest was filled with eggs with a broody hen on top!

So I candled all the eggs, and an additional 24 eggs were fertile. Unfortunately, I don't know what day the babies will hatch out. Only that it will be sometime in the next 10 days, because that's about how long I was at my mom's after the surgery. So there will be a trickle of baby chicks from here on until June 14th!

The chicks right now, some look a bit darker than the Alohas, and more like photos I've seen of baby Swedes. Others look like pure Alohas, there are some "blonde chipmunkers" and regular chipmunk-chicks too. Likewise, size is all over the place, from tiny Bantam-size to what looks like promisingly large!

Whoa! Surprise, surprise! Can't wait to see pics!

I have all sorts of surprise chicks too!
I still have 6 broodies (after 2 successful hens and one hatch-a-holic hen who abandons her chicks left their nests) on over 40 fertile eggs, Plus my 9 mystery chicks. I won't know till they are older who is actually going to be useful, but several look very promising.
I have a pair of 3 week olds who are yellow with white spots, a month old who is orange with spots, a brand new yellow one and 4 chipmunks who look like Sussex chicks (dark and boring, but with those subtle beige tips on their feathers!) who may be fantastic help when they grow up.
Soooo many chickens!

I have all sorts of surprise chicks too!
I still have 6 broodies (after 2 successful hens and one hatch-a-holic hen who abandons her chicks left their nests) on over 40 fertile eggs, Plus my 9 mystery chicks. I won't know till they are older who is actually going to be useful, but several look very promising.
I have a pair of 3 week olds who are yellow with white spots, a month old who is orange with spots, a brand new yellow one and 4 chipmunks who look like Sussex chicks (dark and boring, but with those subtle beige tips on their feathers!) who may be fantastic help when they grow up.
Soooo many chickens!
Tam'ra - I'm so excited! Especially after seeing the great stuff that MaBo has been raising! His chickens are showing such great body type, and knowing that you two are going to be able to cross these to lines together in a few months . . . I'm SO EXCITED to see what pops up when all your recessive Mottle-carriers are bred together!!! I can't wait to see how yours all grow up to look like.

I might have to send you guys in the Pacific NW some Swedish X Aloha cross chicks to share among all of you guys this fall, if all goes well! Wouldn't that be fun?

I would be delighted to share roos and possibly ladies, of course eggs are no brainers!, with MaBo and Tam'ra... Depending on what I hatch perhaps send out chicks later; perhaps next year?

Anywho! I have some nice looking roos that I don't think I'll be able to use, if anyone wants to trade.

Back
Top Bottom