The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Yes! I love silkied feathers. Although I am not the biggest fan of silkies… I know a very unpopular opinion lol, I just find them to be quite skittish. I like the silkie feathering more in other breeds like the bantam Cochins, Seramas, and Ameraucanas.

Oh my goodness, are you me? I also love silkied feathering, but not Silkies, themselves! For me it's more to do with the crest, though. I just don't like breeds with larger crests. Spitzhauben and Legbar style crests are the only acceptable ones to me. 🤭

I have a life goal of some day owning enough of every silkie-feathered non-Silkie breed to help preserve them since many of them are so rare that it's questionable whether they even exist anymore. Thus far, I've just got the Cochin bantams, who seem to be bouncing back from obscurity in the past couple years, but I adore them and need more silkied breeds in my life. 😍 The Ameraucanas have always been close to the top of my list, along with woolly Svart Hona, but basically if it has silkied feathering, I want it. 🤣

They are beautiful!!! I did NOT know this! Where do you find them?!?

Silkied Ameraucanas are pretty hard to find these days, unfortunately. They had a huge boom in popularity 10-15 years ago, around when they first appeared and the years following, and a lot of people had them back then, but they are so rare now. There is one person in the BST section that has come on to say they still have them and intend to breed them more seriously in a year or two when they retire, so hopefully that person sticks around and does just that so that some of us can get our hands on them. :fl Other than that person, I haven't personally had any luck locating anyone with them.

Oh my goodness, are you me? I also love silkied feathering, but not Silkies, themselves! For me it's more to do with the crest, though. I just don't like breeds with larger crests. Spitzhauben and Legbar style crests are the only acceptable ones to me. 🤭
Wow someone else who doesn’t prefer silkies! I have one, and do love her, but I won’t get more. Silkied Ameraucanas, bantam Cochins, and Seramas though? Yes please! I tend to prefer smaller crests too mainly because I feel bad that the chickens with huge ones can’t see very well! I have a polish and she can hardly see with all of those feathers on her head!

I have a life goal of some day owning enough of every silkie-feathered non-Silkie breed to help preserve them since many of them are so rare that it's questionable whether they even exist anymore. Thus far, I've just got the Cochin bantams, who seem to be bouncing back from obscurity in the past couple years, but I adore them and need more silkied breeds in my life. 😍The Ameraucanas have always been close to the top of my list, along with woolly Svart Hona, but basically if it has silkied feathering, I want it. 🤣

Sounds like an awesome goal filled with cute fuzzy chickens! I bet your silkied Cochin bantams are adorable. I have a blue Cochin bantam and she is adorable with the fluffiest booty and feet lol. Just looked up the woolly Svart Honas and those are awesome too.

I’m not very active on BYC any more but hope my fellow Ameraucana enthusiasts had a successful hatching season! Here are some photos of my Wheatens from this year 💕
F6D8CDCD-3454-4DF7-A276-4D6B00F829B6.jpeg
CD6DFF12-9E28-431E-B3DD-7A62FBD56AE1.jpeg
94268B92-CF39-4295-8CD6-B7F42B07278C.jpeg
AA082BCD-317B-4A37-A6D0-A2040BBC9C2D.jpeg
7DF5D2FC-755B-4E2B-8649-22176B044CDC.jpeg

Hello everyone! I wanted to start a thread where you can show off, learn about, or teach others about ameraucanas. I don’t own this breed… yet, but I have 3 eggs in the incubator! Your birds must be true Ameraucanas only! If you are not sure you are welcome to ask!
@EmmaRainboe

Please tag anyone else who owns ameraucanas! :)

Hello everyone! I wanted to start a thread where you can show off, learn about, or teach others about ameraucanas. I don’t own this breed… yet, but I have 3 eggs in the incubator! Your birds must be true Ameraucanas only! If you are not sure you are welcome to ask!
@EmmaRainboe

@EmmaRainboe

This is our very first rooster. His name is Reuben. He's a lavender Ameraucana, and such a good boy. He's 5 years old. He has become a daddy 3 more times for us since we got him😁🐥. His babies are EEs. I hope the little boys are as nice as he is. How long do the roosters generally live? I've read they can live 8 years or more.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_132118274~2.jpg
    IMG_20220821_132118274~2.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220821_132054382_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220821_132054382_HDR~2.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220819_074101705~2.jpg
    IMG_20220819_074101705~2.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 5
Does she look pure to you? Got her from McM…they say they keep all their Ameraucanas in one pen not separated by color. Was expecting an EE but I’ve never seen one that looks like her! She has a few specks of grey around her eyes, and pure slate legs.

View attachment 3316040
She does look like an Ameraucana, she’s super pretty!! You might’ve gotten lucky😄

Back
Top Bottom