The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Breeding question for those with experience. I have light mouthed but otherwise black girls. Would getting a grey mouthed all black roo be a good idea. Obviously I want to get black mouths, but I am not entirely sure of the genetics regarding the mouth. It seems as though you can get a variety of mouth colors/combos (like black mouth, lighter tongue). I am trying to spend my money wisely and get a black mouthed male, but that seems to be quite a challenge. Is it a good strategy to get a grey mouthed bird with the expectation that I would get some black mouths?

Thanks!

I was thinking quiet was better than drama, but that's just me. How are u? How are ur birds?

Well this is true! There's been way too much drama on that other site lately.

I thought I had a good batch of juvies but almost all of them are now showing feather leakage. Doh!
sad.png

I am looking for a BYCer called pascopol.
Anyone seen him around here?
He wanted some eggs from my birds.
Thanks,
Karen

Well this is true!  There's been way too much drama on that other site lately.

I thought I had a good batch of juvies but almost all of them are now showing feather leakage.  Doh!   :(  

This breed is very humbling. Sorry to read of leakage. I'm sure it's much more common than people like to admit. Hope ur next batch turns out better.

Howdy from NC....

Ok... I've been waiting to see what my 3rd Gen test group would look like... they look good enough to cull off my 1st Gen group....

I have 10 more 4 week olds, acclimating in the outside coop right now. And another 18 eggs in lockdown... I will be selling in October...

Here are photos
Of the 3 test birds...

I HATE silver feather leakage. But I hate waddle turning even More...

This breed is VERY hard to work with. Low egg production. A total lack of brewdiness...

Tha darkest ones hatch late...

Then you have not 1 but 3 culling events throughout development...

1st.. 2 days after hatch. If they show white legs or white wing tips and butts.

2nd.. at 5-6 weeks if they show silver feather leakage.

3rd... (most annoying after all the work and feed) at puberty if their combs and waddle turn from black to purple or worse dark red...

Although the last one has stopped happening now...

And people look all confused when you quote them a price...

Last edited:
If leakage generally shows up at 6 weeks, then I'm in really good shape because not one of my juveniles that are that age or older have had leakage so far. Still waiting for a ruling on how their combs are going to be. I'm not really worried about the pullets, more so the cockerels on that front.

What are the average market prices for good Quality Cemani now?

I now for a fact, it is no longer $700.00 per bird...

We should all be setting the prices not just GFF...

Yes those Cockrell basta%÷×ds... They are the most annoying turners of all..

Yes... I have black chicks!
Yes... They have black mouths too!
Yes... Thank God, no leakage!
Yes... Great sheen development!
Yes... Cool they are still jet black!

CRAP! You stupid Rooster!!
Why the heck are you TURNING now!
Aaaaaah!

He he he

Last edited:
BTW....
I had to cull the 3rd Cemani in my test group this morning...

The stupid bird ate so many pine needles it filled its gord to 1/4 its total size...and was choking on the pine needles stuck in its neck...

She is the bird on the bottom of this photo.

And

I have seen one other bird do this 3 years ago... 1% just loose their stupid little minds and start eating pine needles until they choke and die...

After I cut off its head, pine needle came oozing out its headless neck... pretty darn gross, that...

Back
Top Bottom